Chapter 4

Shoutout to creepakilla! You guessed who Es really is. This one is for you! Enjoy!

Chapter 4

"Listen, Es... I-"

"You can start stacking those books on the counter, and when you're finished with that come on back in my office. We finished that paperwork yesterday, but I'm still required to go back over it to make sure it's correct. Sound okay?"

I nod and get to work. For a Christian, Esmerelda seemed pretty fine. Well... that'll will change with time, it always does. I end up having to grab a step-ladder to put the last three books away, thankfully they were all by the same author so I don't have to move around.

I make my way toward the office, and see Es on her knees as I come through the door. Dread, fills me as I remember her praying yesterday. I start to walk out, but she looks up and stops me.

"Oh! You're just in time! Can you help me find my little pin? I guess it's too heavy for my blouse, and it rolled under this des-,"she stops midsentence at the sound of my laughter and looks up at my red face, " What? You're acting like you don't see middle-aged women crawling around on the floor everyday."

The look on her face is so serious I have to get on my knees to keep me from falling.

"Suuusuusurrree... sure ttthhhiinggg... Essss," I stumble on my words as I try and look for her pin through tears in my eyes. Maybe this isn't going to be so bad after all. I start to tell her I can't find it, when I feel a sharp pain in my finger. "Ouch!!!" I pull my hand back from under the desk, and the pin is stuck just under the skin.

"Found it, and I think you should keep this as a weapon in case you get held at gunpoint." I laugh as I take the offending object out of my finger, and hand it to Es. As she repins it to her blouse I finally see what the design is. It's of a dove wrapped in thorns, the detail so amazing I swear the gold-planted avian will fly off at any moment.

"That's an odd design. What's up with the thorns? It's kind of disturbing."

"It's pertaining to God. The dove represents innocence. The innocence that was lost from the Fall of Satan and his followers, as well as Adam and Eve. Usually thorns represent torture, like with Jesus and the crown of thorns, but these don't pierce the dove. It means protection. So all together, it represents the protection of the innocent. "

Even though I'm uncomfortable with the direction the conversation is going, I deside to let it go. It is an interesting little pin though.

"Is it a family heriloom? Do people even still have those? No offense, but it looks like something an old woman would wear."

Es smiles as she stands and gives me a hand up from the floor, and their is an odd glint of humor in her eyes. For a second she looked much older than she appeared.

"I suppose you could say it is an heirloom. My Father gave my siblings and I one that represents each of us. I guess you could say He says I'm a protector of others."

I was about to ask what that cryptic phrase was about, but the bell over the front door rang. Esmeralda looked at me with wide eyes and a smile to match. I just gave her a weird look and followed her out to the front desk. As Es greeted the person who came in, I decided to get more books to put away. Unfortunately, I grabbed about four too many. As I walking away with them the one on top decided to fall on top of my head, while the others fell on my feet from my flinching from the first impact.
"Oh you have GOT to be kid-," I stopped at the sound of Es's laughter mingled with a much more masculine voice speaking.

"Aunt E, you didn't say you hired someone more clumsy than you are."

I slowly turned to give the voice a death glare that would surely scald the person behind me, and come face to chest with the jerk. I look up and up, until I finally look into a pair of blue eyes so crystalline, you could skate on them. No matter how pretty his eyes, they could not hide the amusement in them. I decided to save what was left of my pride and took three quick steps back. Then proceeded to trip over the books I dropped not twenty seconds ago.
I look up to see Es trying to hide her laughter behind her hand.

"You've already made a bad impression on my new employee. Apologize right this instant!"

He comes over to me, avoiding the books still on the ground, and offers me his hand.
"I'm sorry I laughed at you dropping books and tripping.... But that was funny you have to admit!"

I huffed, ignoring his hand, grabbed the books I'd dropped, then, carefully, stomped away.
**********************
Esmeralda POV

I rolled my eyes at the foolish child. He just HAD to say that. I walk over and promptly hit him over the back of his fat head to erase the smirk he proudly boasted.

"Was that REALLY necessary? I was finally getting somewhere with her," I grab the book he called me about earlier and shoved it in his hands, " Here's your book. Now leave. You can come back and apologize tomorrow."

"Aunt E, come o-"
"Out!"
He hangs his head like he was six years old again. He gets to the door and stops as he opens the door. He turns back with a huge smile on his face, and winks at me.

"You know you love me Aunt E."
"Maybe when you gain manners back. Now off with you."

I try to hide my smile as he turns and heads off to Lord knew where. Speaking of which...

How is this going to work? Father I have faith, I'm just worried for both. I've loved him since he was still with you, but this girl.. She makes me hurt for her. So much pain. I've grown so attached. Help me to not worry so Father.

You've done well child. Everything will go according to My plan. Rest your mind. Both will heal in time.

As I end my prayer I look over toward my disgruntled employee agitatedly stacking books, then back toward the door. Then walk back to my office with a smile.

"I love you too Ahlai."