Chapter 2

"Actually, you might be able to help. Do you know of any jobs open around here? I am a Sophomore in college, and am in need of a job."

Es looked at me for a minute. She seemed to be coming to some sort of decision.

"How would you like to work here? The pay isn't much, a little more than minimum wage. The woman who worked here before is no longer able to, so I have an opening. What do ya say?"

I just stared at her. "That's it? No interview? No applications to fill out?"

She laughed. "Yes, well not quite. I need to teach you a few things, and there will be a bit of paperwork, but not much. So is that a yes?"

"Yes! I mean... I would like that very much. When do I start?"

"Since it looks like the rain will continue for a while, why don't we go in my office and fill out paperwork. It'll take 10 minutes tops. Then I can start your training. Sound good?"

"Definitely!"

We walked into her office, and filled out the forms. She was right it didn't take long. After that she started showing me how books were stocked and sorted, how the computer systems work, and how the library cards are sorted. About an hour later, while helping her shelf some books, my stomach growled. Loudly. We both froze, and looked at my stomach.

She laughed as I blushed. Jeez, she is one happy person. It's kind of creepy really. "Sounds like someone's hungry. Come on, I have Mexican in my mini fridge."

We walked back into her office, and I sat down at a table in the corner while she got the food. After heating it she gave me my half and I thanked her. I was about to dig in when I saw the strangest thing I've ever seen in my life. Like a crazy person, she didn't sit in her chair, but sat on her knees on the floor and bowed her head. She then proceeded to mumble something I only got bits and pieces of.

"Father... this wonderful food.... this young new friend... a cooling rain... my health... "

I just continued to stare as she continued. What on Earth have I gotten myself into? It wasn't until I heard the last word she spoke that she spoke that I realized what she was doing. Or rather, her last sentence hit me like a ton of bricks.

"In Jesus' name I pray, Amen."

She was praying. Thanking... God... The same one who took my parents from me all those years ago. In that terrible accident, my life was forever changed by the God she was praying to. And not for the better. I could feel it. The bitterness on the tip of my tongue that wanted to curse such a being. And to curse the one who have praise to such an entity.

Esmerellda got up, and sat in her chair. She seemed to sense something change in me because she watched me push my plate away with calculating eyes. That's when I finally snapped from being under her microscope.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

She just kept looking at me. Then, thankfully, she spoke. "Let it go, sweetie." Hmm... the microscope was looking much better. "Let what go?"

"Your anger at God," I stood up, "and before you get your panties in a bunch, listen to what I have to say. I don't know why you are where you are with God, and it may not be my business, but I know it will only hurt you more in the end. Know that if you decide to stay and work here, I will not hide this part of myself for your sake, but I won't stuff it down your throat either."

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair before saying, "I don't know. You seem nice enough, but I want no part of your... God," I spat the word out like a curse.

"How about this. I can tell you need time, so I'll pack your lunch up, and you go home and think it over. Of you come back tomorow, I'll take it as acceptance. If not... then I will have my answer either way. Deal?"

I looked at the hand she held out to me, hesitated for a split second, then shook it. "Deal."

After I had my meal wrapped in foil, Esmerellda walked me to the door and hugged me. "It was nice meeting you Esmerellda, despite our differences," I said as we separated.

"It's Es to you, and likewise sweetie." She gave me one last smile before I walked into the sunshine, and stated walking the short distance to my apartment.

Esmerellda smiled as she watched the young woman go. She would be back. He had told her so in His still, small voice. Yes, she would be back. And if His whispers were anything to go off of, He had great plans for her. Great plans, indeed.