This madam was one of the original Chu Lian's greatest enemies.

In the end, Chu Lian had tortured her to death with some cruel methods.

Chu Lian cast a curious, measuring gaze towards Lady Yang.

She hadn't expected that Lady Yang, who should have been working against her, would come out now only to stand on her side.

What was this called again? The tables have turned?

Although Chu Lian didn't want to overthink things and make her life complicated, she wasn't so naive as to think that Lady Yang had come simply just to help her out.

As expected, she could hear some people talking in the crowd.

"Lady Yang and Madam Huang have been at odds since they were young unmarried ladies. It would be hard to avoid clashing over this matter today. Unfortunately, that poor Third Young Madam from House Jingan has become a target."

Chu Lian laughed inwardly. She didn't really mind being a target. No matter what Lady Yang's motives were, that coral bracelet was pretty valuable. What did she need the most now? Money! That bracelet was going to be hers!

"Since Sister Yang has already placed something in the pot, I'll have to add in my own share." A young madam with rosy cheeks standing behind Lady Yang spoke up. She looked to be in her twenties, and was dressed in a silk green dress. From what Chu Lian could hear from the crowd's whispering, this was the wife of the vice minister of the Ministry of Personnel.

The vice minister's wife took off a butterfly-shaped golden hairpin decorated with pieces of jade from directly off her head and placed it in the silver tray.

The other madams behind Lady Yang followed suit, taking a single accessory off and placing it in the silver tray. There were hollowed out gold bracelets inlaid with jade, yellow jade amulets, headdresses with precious stones All these high-quality, sparkling accessories were laid out on this ordinary silver tray.

The younger madams in the crowd were completely wide-eyed in shock.

What was going on? How did these influential senior madams suddenly start fighting with each other?

The moment Madam Huang caught sight of Lady Yang, she gritted her teeth. Although she clearly hated Lady Yang, she had to put on a fake smile and say, "How generous of you, Lady Yang. Since you're betting on Chu Lian being able to make better longevity peach buns, what if she fails? It wouldn't make sense if you just take back your wager, am I right?"

Lady Yang harrumphed, "Oh? Then what do you think we should do if she fails, Madam Huang? "

Madam Huang shot a look at her daughter, Zou Yuanqin, before she removed a gold bracelet from her arm. Threaded on it were two rare pink pearls. They were shaped differently from normal pearls; instead of the usual sphere shape, they looked like water droplets. Rounded with a lustrous shine, they were quite a rare sight.

Those familiar with Madam Huang all sucked in a breath. That was Madam Huang's favourite bracelet; it was said that her maternal grandmother had passed it on to her.

After placing the pearl bracelet on the tray, Madam Huang said slowly and surely, "Since Lady Yang wants to interfere with this matter, why don't we do it like this? These accessories will become the wager for today. If House Jingan's Third Young Madam has the skills, then everything on this tray will become hers, as compensation for the shock she has suffered. If she fails to carry out her task, then she'll have the same punishment I mentioned earlier: begging for forgiveness from my father in front of everyone in the banquet hall. Furthermore, Lady Yang, all the accessories you've bet will become ours."