ⓣⓦⓔⓛⓥⓔ

Rice Family Room

December 23th

"When are you leaving again?" He asked into her hair, running his hand up and down her arm.

"Early tomorrow morning. We want to get to the lake before there's tons of traffic," she said, leaning her back further into his chest. She shivered at the cold of his breath on the back of her neck, her position nestled between his legs giving him the element of surprise from behind her. His hands and his lips seemed to be everywhere.

"I can't believe you're ditching me on Christmas," he said, his hand now splayed across her stomach and his lips pressing a small kiss behind her ear.

"Come on, I'm not ditching you. The plan was always to go up to the lake. And you're spending the day with your family anyway," she said, giggling as his hands tickled her sides.

"How long are you staying up there?" He asked, giving her a break by lacing his fingers through her own.

"Until January second. After everyone recovers from New Years," she said, twisting slightly in his lap to look at him sideways. He took the opportunity to leave a lingering kiss on her lips.

"Then we better get enough of each other now to last for a while," he smirked, grabbing her hips so that she had to run completely over in his lap. They were chest to chest, their breaths mixing in the air between them.

"What did you have in mind?" She asked cheekily, feeling a confidence that she hadn't in a while. He didn't answer her with words. He simply raised his hand to cup her cheek with a tenderness that had become foreign to her since the start of their arrangement.

Her pulse quickened as his lips melded to hers. This time there wasn't a probing nature to it. It was as if he was trying to remember everything about the moment. The feel of her cheek under his hand. Or the taste of her tongue against his. It was moments like this that made everything all the more confusing.

And as always, it didn't last long.

His hand slipped from her cheek down to her side, coming to a stop at the seam of her leggings under the warmth of her sweater. She couldn't help but falter, the quick change in tempi throwing her for a loop. It didn't go unnoticed.

He pulled away, his brow furrowed as he watched her hesitantly opening her eyes.

"What is it?" He asked, his other hand squeezing her hip questioningly.

"Nothing, I'm just," she started, unable to meet his eyes, "I'm going to miss you while we're up at the lake." He smiled at her and pecked her cheek, causing her to look up at him with a small smile.

"We'll be fine Kayc, a week is not that bad," he said, his hand coming back up to cup her cheek. She smiled brighter, biting her tongue to make sure she didn't let the real thing bothering her slip.

"Maybe it doesn't even have to be a week," she said, the idea coming to her as she readjusted herself in between his legs.

"What do you mean?" He asked her, smiling at her smile.

"Come down to the lake house after Christmas. Celebrate with your family and then come up with us for New Years," she said, biting her lower lip between her teeth. He smiled stronger, running a finger over her lip, freeing it from her teeth.

"I would love to," he said, kissing her nose lightly.

"Good," she said, leaning forward to connect their lips once again.

"Will that be okay with your family?" He asked, pulling away but keeping their foreheads connected.

"Of course, they were asking me if you wanted to come for a few days anyway," she said.