10 Moments of Meroes

Meroes and Quil looked at the structure in front of them. The entrance was ghastly; and to intimidate even further they could hear and feel air pressing out from somewhere inside. It felt and sounded like a deep warm breath coming out of the cave mouth. They stood side by side staring at the mouth.

"I don't know Meroes." "We have to Quil; you remember the stories, you know what lies within here. We have to stop them at all cost." Quil closed her eyes and let out a deep sigh. Meroes reached down and grabbed her hand holding it tightly in his own. "I remember as a child hearing the stories about this place, the powerful weapon that is supposedly buried deep within here. Mother used to tell me about it at night as she tucked me in. She said it was locked away to protect us all, to allow us to be free."

"Meroes, I don't like this. There something very wrong about all of this; this place, us being here, it all feels wrong. Every part of my being tells me not to enter this place." "We have a responsibility Quil, a duty." Meroes turned and looked into Quil's eyes almost pleading. "Are you with me Quil?" "Meroes, how can you ask me a question like that? Of course I am!" Meroes turned back to the entrance. It was very foreboding, as if it were some creature lying in wait to gobble up anything that was foolish enough to stray close to its jaws. Meroes took one firm step forward, "Then we go."

So much had happened so fast, only days ago everything was peaceful, blissful, ignorance. Meroes and Quil had come from the east, a place south of The Haunted Sorrows. Meroes's father often talked about a day of great truth. Everyone thought the man mad, Meroes now wish he were; he never thought it would be like this. He had been trained his whole life as if every day were a war. Others went about their business as if it were just another day. This was never the case at the Drakewell home. Meroes's father insisted that he train daily. He always insisted something big was coming someday soon. He told Meroes from a young child on, that he would one-day stand with a few; high above the rest. Meroes could barely remember stories his father would tell him at night as a child. He did remember that he was often told while he was still very young that he would not perish, he would go on and that Drakewell would be a name above all. "Listen well my son," his father would say, "Fame is the only true immortality. Everything that begins will someday end. This is the way of things." Meroes could never fully understand what his father meant; though he often thought about those words. They seemed to haunt him always lingering at the back of his mind.

Meroes and Quil went out to Raised Ridge. They often left town for sights to see when any time was permitted. Neither of their parents minded them spending time together, even if it was outside the safety of the village. They were raised practically as cousins always around each other since birth. Quil and Meroes's sister might as well have been twins for the amount of time they spent together once Meroes's mother pried her daughter's nose from the books. Meroes preferred Quil's company to his own sister. While he was training, she often was reading or studying anything she could find. Bargain traders often carried a few extra books and scrolls for the curious customer just like his sister. Quil like Meroes loved the outdoors, breathing fresh air, and interacting with others. It was no wonder to most that they were often running off together.

Quil and Meroes stood at the edge of Raised Ridge. The view spanned out far across the land. Looking to the east, they could even see the blue purple haze of Stellar Sea. They stood together smiling at the beauty and wonder of their sight. Today was no ordinary day for them; this was a very special day. This was supposed to be their wedding day. Though they stood together, they were not as one. At mid childhood, their parents had agreed and arranged their union. When they were late adolescents, they went to both of their families together and pleaded to release their arrangement. They insisted they could not be a happy couple, while feeling as though they had married family. They were not royalty, and the thought was not proper. For several years, they pleaded their case until finally as young adults, their parents agreed and seen, they would not change their minds. Though they did grow closer together, it was not as a couple.