[21.] Nothing Happened

Comincia dall'inizio

Francesca and I had spent an alarming amount of time together, but Ludmila allowed it. She had questioned why it was always me and not her boyfriend, but she soon let that go as well. Deep down I knew that I was probably crossing a line, but I was too selfish to care. Besides, she just needed a friend. We had made it pretty clear that a relationship could never be on the table.

"I am so sorry," Ludmila says, pulling away.

"No, you had every right to say all of those things to me. I totally understand. I am just overjoyed that we have made it through that." Francesca smiles.

"Well Leon, I think you know exactly where we are going now. This will be an ambitious attempt, but I am sure she can pull it off," Ludmila says smirking. I make a disgruntled noise.

"Let's go dress fitting!"

If I had thought I was miserable before, I was a dysfunctional mess now. Ludmila's part was easy. She tried on the dress and got a few last minute alterations to the dress. She looked like an angel as she stood in front of the mirror, a soft smile on her lips. This was the perfect dress for her, and I could only imagine Diego's reaction on the wedding day...and night.

Francesca was the problem. For some reason none of the dresses were fitting her well, and it was exhausting. Her footsteps got heavier each time and she trudged towards the fitting rooms again and again. Even Ludmila, who reveled in all things related to dresses, was infuriated. She had downed way too many glasses of champagne to keep her annoyance at bay.

"Guys, I really think this is the one." My interest piqued and I looked up from the home magazine I had been skimming through.

She stepped out and the breath was knocked literally out of my chest. It was a dark blue, floor-length dress that had a chiffon layer on the top and a halter strap. She twirled around slightly, and the bottom billowed out around her slightly. I swallowed hard and managed a weak smile.

"It's fantastic. A winner." She smiles gratefully and turns to Ludmila, the head judge.

"Beautiful."

When all the paying is done, I pull Ludmila slightly to the side. I tell her that although it was good to see the her and Francesca getting along, they still needed to talk. So I left, praying that everything would be fine.

I SLIPPED ON my shoes and met Ludmila inside her room to escort her to the rehearsal dinner

She had been walking on air the entire week leading up to her wedding. That same day she had called me with the good news of her conversation with Francesca. They had finally understood each other, and even though things would not be the same just yet, they were certainly on their way. On top of that, she and Diego had been attached to the hip and more in love than ever.

"It's weird, it's not even the real thing but I already feel happier than ever," She says. I sling an arm around her and smile.

"There's nothing wrong with that. You know, I am so proud of you. Look at how far you have come, and on top of all of that you have managed to find love and build a steady, committed relationship." I press a light kiss on the top of her head.