[01]

——Chapter one

——
Chapter one

A THIRTEEN YEAR old girl runs trough the dark, empty streets.

The top of her brown hair greasy caused by all the sweat, a bag hanging from her shoulder that is covered in crimson blood. She's breathing heavily due to all the running 'its my fault' keeps repeating in her head, but she won't look back.

Back to her house, where her mother's lifeless body lays on the ground.

She keeps running, adrenaline pulsing in her veins. It's like she's on autopilot.

Her legs are getting tired but she knows she can't stop. If she stopped, her mother would have died for nothing. She can't let that happen.

Her mind drifts back to her mother, her mother who had always loved her was gone and it is her fault.

But Juno's mother had prepared her for this. She knew this would happen but she didn't know it would be this soon. She wasn't ready yet.

Those people have been trying to find her since they found out about her. So Juno and her mother have been running and hiding for years now.

All because of her stupid ability. Her mother had always told her that it was a beautiful gift but Juno found it hard to believe. Unlike her mother she didn't think it was beautiful, no, Juno hates it. Her 'gift' is the cause of her mother's death. She is the cause of her mother's death.

Many people were after her, a kid who can see dead people is apparently very special these days.

She doesn't know why she can see dead people, she was born with it. Her mother told her that her grandmother could hear the voices of ghosts, but Juno can see and hear them, like they're normal people.

She still struggles with seeing the difference between living people and dead people sometimes.

While most of the time she can feel it when there's a ghost, there have been times when she confused them.

She remembers third grade when a girl in her class had passed away from an illness. She didn't know her powers yet and told the whole class that she wasn't dead because the girl was standing right there! Her teacher got mad because she was being 'disrespectful' and 'scaring her classmates' but Juno was just confused.

Why couldn't anyone see the girl?

Her parents were called after that, luckily her mother believed her, but her father was a different story.

At first he got mad with Juno, he told her to stop lying and that she embarrassed him. But when her mother tried to explain to him that Juno wasn't lying, he freaked out.

He caused a whole scene. Yelling at them and throwing stuff. Her father was a very religious man so this was his worst nightmare.

It even came to the point where he became physical. While he always had been aggressive, he has never been as mad as that day.

It all felt like a blur, but she can remember her mom laying exhausted and bruised on the floor and her father walking away to 'get some air'.

That was the last time she had seen him

After that day she despised her ability. She felt like a freak!

People always looked at her weird ever since that day at school.

At first she tried to ignore the ghosts. But every time she accidentally looked straight at them when they said something or jumped a bit when they scared her, they noticed that she could see them.

She understood them of course, she was the only person who could see and hear them, they didn't have a choice. But she hated it.

While everyone in her town avoided her at all cost, she always had her mother's support.

Every time she would get bullied or laughed at, her mother always picked her up and comfort her.

Her mother was always interested in the stories of the ghosts, she listened without ever doubting her. She made Juno start loving her ability again and she started talking to the ghosts.

Juno started depending on her mother.

So now that she's dead she will ignore the ghosts. She can not do this alone.

Snapping back to reality, Juno realises that she's still running but she doesn't know where she is running to.

She doesn't have anyone that can take care of her and she's on the run.

So she needs to run far away.

Aurora remembers a place her mother had told her about. It was some sort of safe house for them to go to if they would be getting closer.

Juno is going to New York.