Chapter 19 - Magic Show

As we made our way to our next class, Hunter appeared to have returned to normal; that gleam to his eyes was back, but I wasn't convinced. I couldn't help but think that he wasn't as happy as he seemed to be. Sure, he was joking along with Az and Olivia as we walked to class and complaining about how many spells we had to learn from a spell sheet Madame Thornton had handed out to us, but I didn't fully believe the act.

We arrived at our next class, which, mercifully, was Evocation with Mr Beck.

"Come on in," Mr Beck said, greeting us at the door, "I thought we'd start with a little practical lesson to kick off the year." My heart sank at those words; I had barely managed to get away with doing practical magic during Illusion. I'd be sunk in a completely practical lesson. Mr Beck must have noticed the look of terror on my face as I walked past him through the classroom door, because he gave me a small, reassuring smile.

It did not reassure me.

The classroom did not have any tables and chairs spread set up inside. Everyone was standing in the middle of the room, grouped up with their friends, so I just hung around Hunter and his friends like some sort of shadow, trying to look like I belonged.

"Alright everyone," Mr Beck said, closing the classroom door, "My name is Mr Beck, Master of Evocation. I thought we could start today with a demonstration of sorts." Murmured chatter broke out while Mr Beck motioned for us all to move backwards into the classroom. I felt relieved by the word 'demonstration', it meant I probably didn't have to fumble my way through using magic.

"Evocation magic is a particularly important Discipline to master, even if it is not your Focus. Evocation magic is the conversion of the energy of the universe into the elemental magics of air, water, fire, earth, lightning, ice, force, light and darkness."

"Evocation magic is important because its primary use is offence. Offensive magic will, of course, help you should you take part in The Clash; if you plan on joining the Sentinels or the like, I strongly encourage you to compete as it is a good opportunity for you to show your abilities to potential recruiters and employers who will be in attendance."

"But more than that, offensive magic is vital should you be attacked by malevolent sorcerers, which, I'm sorry to say, seem to be more prevalent than ever." He looked pointedly in my direction when he said this, and I shivered, remembering the cold, crazed eyes of Umbra.

"For this reason, I've decided to demonstrate to you some of the spells you should be able to cast after your next two years of study, regardless of your Focus. I'm hoping that you'll all find it 'cool'," he made air quotes around the word, "And it might make you want to study Evocation with more enthusiasm." He smirked cheekily and the class chuckled in response.

Mr Beck walked to the top of the classroom and stretched his arms. "You should all stay back. I know what I'm doing but this is still potentially dangerous stuff." The class all scooted backward, and I was crushed against some kind of strange glass orb with whirring blue lights inside.

Mr Beck raised his arms out to the side, palms facing outwards. He closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths. The class was silent now, waiting anxiously for whatever he was about to do.

Then from his hands, two small flames appeared; tiny, glowing orange lights growing larger by the second, until he was holding two fireballs the size of his hands in mid-air.

Mr Beck then slammed his palms together like he was praying, and the fire balls crashed together, showering the floor with sparks. As he moved his hands apart again, a string of small white lights was revealed. He flung his hands forwards and the lights scattered swiftly around the room, brightly illuminating it, and drawing sounds of amazement from the other students in the room.