Chapter 16 - Spelling and Entering

The mood was a much more sober affair the following morning; we were all fairly quiet at breakfast, despite a few attempts from my parents to get the conversation flowing. After we had all eaten, they asked to speak to me privately in their room. I followed them in with more than a little trepidation.

"Come sit down son," dad said, patting a spot on the bed between the two of them. Closing the door behind me, I nervously sat down and waited for them to speak.

"Charlie," mom said soothingly, "We're not going to pretend we understand everything that's going on with you, but we feel better knowing that you'll be protected here. We're going to miss you and it's not going to be the same without you at home every day, but we just want you to be safe and happy. We want you to enjoy your time here as best you can. And when you're done, come home to us."

"I...I mean, I'll try Mom. I'm going to miss you both so, so much. And I-," I broke off, afraid of looking weak in front of them. But then I thought screw it; they're my parents and I want to be honest with them for once. "I never really fit in at home. I don't talk to people besides you guys and Zac, I feel so different to everyone else, and it's so hard. I'm just...scared. Scared things will be the same here, or worse, and I won't have you guys around me to make it feel better."

"Charlie, we'll always be here for you," Mom said, "We know how hard you've struggled...how much you're still struggling with things, but you are not alone, and you never will be. I don't care if I need to kick a hundred sorcerers' asses, if you call us and tell us you need us, we'll be here as quickly as possible."

"You're strong Charlie. You've been beaten down by life and you might not feel it, but I know you, and you have the strength to overcome anything," Dad said, "You are our son, and we know you can do it."

"You guys..." I sniffed, tears flowing. "I'm going to miss you both so much!" They enveloped me from both sides, both of them sniffling too. Man, things were getting so emotional the last few days, we were all blubbering messes.

At around 1PM, Mr Beck gathered us all by the teleportation Circles, where we were to say our final goodbyes. My mom had spent the last twenty minutes reminding me to brush my teeth every night and fold my clothes if I was going to put them in the dresser, don't just chuck them in, and so on. To be honest, I didn't mind the fussing; I knew I would be missing it a few days from now when I was no longer able to hear it.

"Right," Mr Beck announced, glancing down at his watch, "Time to go."

We all looked at each other, and my heart felt like it was being ripped from my chest. I hugged my dad, mom and Zac in turn, telling each of them how much I loved them and how much I was going to miss them.

They grouped together inside a Circle, and Mr Beck bent over and scribbled something in an empty space at the top of the Circle. He stood up when he finished, and the Circle began to glow, getting brighter and brighter.

Zac and my parents began to yell goodbye, waving. I responded in kind, feeling my eyes watering, but I managed to hold it in until, with a bright flash of light, they disappeared into thin air. I was alone.

I think I stood there, staring at the Circle for maybe twenty minutes before I was able to move again. Maybe some part of me thought if I waited long enough, they would come back. Of course, they didn't. So, I left and headed towards the third-year dorm room Mr Beck had assigned me to earlier that week. He said he would collect all of the stuff I'd put on a list for him when he took my family home and bring it to me later. Aside from that, I was told to make myself comfortable and to meet in the dining room at 6PM for dinner that night.

I entered the dorm which was identical to the one we had been staying in, and wandered up a staircase to floor two, room five. The bedroom was similar in style to the guest bedrooms, except there was two of everything to accommodate my roommate and I both.