Reunited in an Unlikely Place

*Beatrice Jr.'s POV (whaaaat?)*
"Do I have to come with you, Mommy?" I asked Mother. Violet had told me that she wasn't really my mother, which sort of relieved me because I'm six and she's twenty one. That would mean she had me at fifteen, which I'm pretty sure isn't normal. My biological parents are dead and I don't have a father. I called her Mother, while her siblings were my "Uncle Klaus" and "Aunt Sunny" . Aunt Sunny is my best friend, her being older than me by about a year. Mother was dragging me along to the store. I wasn't sure why we did the shopping when both her and her siblings have an enormous fortune, and I also get to inherit the Snicket fortune in twelve years.

~*~

"Bea? Bea, sweetheart, where are you?" I heard Mother call out.
"Hide and seek!" I responded.

I heard her laugh as I went to hide. I wish I didn't. I soon found out that I was lost... Mother always taught me that when I was lost, ask the nearest, most well-read looking person in the area for help. There was a man I sort of recognized, but the memory was somewhat fuzzy. He had his wide, green eyes set on a book as he waited for his drink from the small coffee shop. An old typewriter case sat in the seat across from his. He certainly looked well read. "Excuse me, Sir?" I asked him, "I seem to be lost. Could you please help me find my mother? She told me to always ask for help from well-read people." The man laughed lightly.

"Of course I'll help you out! And for your information, I am quite well-read. What's your name, Kid?"
" Beatrice Snicket Baudelaire the second. " I responded, watching his already wide eyes grow wider. "What's your name?" I asked him.

"Um... I-I am Duncan Quagmire... Did you say 'Baudelaire'?"
"Yeah! I know where I've seen you! The Daily Punctilio; my mom loves your articles!"
" Who's your mother?"
"Violet Baudelaire!"
His eyes went very, very wide.

*Duncan's POV*
Violet had a daughter? I didn't even know she was still alive! My siblings and I just barely managed to escape the Great Unknown, but it was still a bone-chilling memory. I remembered calling out her name when I thought I was going to die. Violet was the one girl I ever felt something for; I felt like I could be myself around her... It had been seven years since I last saw her and I missed her every single day. I couldn't believe she had a daughter! Did she have a husband? I hoped not.

"I think I can help you look for her." I asked, really wanting to see her.
"Great! Thanks Mr. Quagmire."
"Where did you see her last?" I interrogated as my mind went to the Village of Fowl Devotees.
"I think it was in the cereal isle. She was holding a box of Schoenberg Cereal. My uncle said that his friend Cleo used to enjoy it." Klaus had a friend that's a girl? Isadora wasn't going to like this.
"What does she look like?" I asked the little girl. My mind knew this already. Tall, beautiful, an intelligent gleam in those crystal blue eyes, soft looking lips formed into a smile in happy times. Perfect...

"She has long, dark hair and blue eyes. She's pretty." Beatrice said. "And single," she added with a small wink of her brown eyes. I tried not to blush. Wait. Brown eyes? I know it's entirely likely that she could've inherited her grandmother's brown eyes, as I remembered Klaus saying his brown eyes were similar to his mother's, but it is much more likely that these were inherited from her father, like Violet got her blue eyes from her father. I got too curious not to ask. "Where's your father?"
"I haven't met him. Or my mother. Mother, Uncle Klaus, and Aunt Sunny adopted me at a young age."

I was so sorry for this little girl. I knew what it was like to grow up without parents, but at the same time, she also had the Baudelaires, smart and charming people. I was also glad to hear that I still had a chance to be with Violet. "Let's go find her," I said, picking up my typewriter case, which my mentor, Moxie Mallahan, said is a good thing to have handy at all times. Forget my coffee; I was about to see Violet Baudelaire again.

"I actually knew your mother in school," I said quietly. I assumed she heard me because her little face lit up. "Really! That's great! We're you friends?"
" I guess you could say that. " I answered with a light chuckle. She was adorable. Her face reminded me of Kit Snicket's. She had said part of her full name was Snicket, and Kit was pregnant when I'd met her, so I assumed this was her daughter.
"Do you have any siblings, Mr. Quagmire?"
" Please call me Duncan, Miss Baudelaire.
"I also don't prefer fancy titles. I'm Beatrice Jr. and I only use my full name when introducing myself. Mother and her siblings call me Bea. Do you have any siblings, Duncan?"

I smiled warmly. Beatrice Jr. was clearly intelligent, probably from living with Baudelaires... "Yes. I have two. I'm a triplet."
"The closest thing I have to a sibling is my Aunt Sunny. What are your siblings names?"
" Quigley and Isadora. "
"Does Isadora have a boyfriend? Uncle Klaus doesn't have a girlfriend."
I laughed at what she was insinuating. "Isadora and Klaus did like eachother when we were in school. And she doesn't"
" We need to get those two kooky lovenuts together!"
I laughed again. "How old are you, Beatrice Jr.?"
" Six."

Holy cow! This child is six and she's a genius! A bright future is ahead of this little girl. "That's quite impressive. You're probably the smartest six year old I've ever met." She accepted the compliment with a toothy smile. "Why thank you, Duncan." She was just the most adorable little thing. I knew Violet probably cared for the little girl with all her heart and was most likely worried sick. I watched a woman dash by, but stagger backwards. It was Violet. "There you are, Bea! You had me scared out of my wits! I'm so happy you're safe." She said, hugging Beatrice Jr. tightly, "Thank you so much -" she froze in her tracks as she tried to thank the person who helped Beatrice Jr. find her, me.

" It's nice to see you again, Violet. " I said cautiously. She was pale, as if she had just seen a ghost. I guess I would've been something of a ghost to her.
"Duncan," Violet said, so quiet it was barely audible. I smiled weakly. Not the reaction I was thinking of, but still welcome nonetheless. "I missed you all." I said. Violet knew I was mainly talking about her. "We missed you all too," she said louder, smiling at me with those soft looking lips. I couldn't help but smile in return. She was even more beautiful than I ever could have imagined. I handed her my card after adding my personal number to it. "I have a coffee waiting for me. It really was nice seeing you again, Violet Baudelaire."

" Right back at you, Duncan Quagmire. "

********
1235 words