Sometimes a Smile is Just a Smile

*Klaus' POV*
"Klaus, could you please help me with these tidal charts?" Fiona asked me as she adjusted her triangular shaped glasses, "I'm in need of an experienced researcher."

" Aye, " I replied, trying to keep in theme with the Queequeg. She smiled warmly at me and I smiled back. She was an intelligent person who was also interested in mycology. I thought it was interesting enough, but I preferred the literary arts, to be frank. I guess some people might think she was pretty, but I didn't see it that much. There was a girl I met at school that I missed a lot, but we were in two different places. In the clouds and in the murky depths of the ocean. I knew Isadora was in safe hands. Duncan would rather die than have anything or anyone hurt her. Hector meant well, but a bottle of mustard also means well and might do a better job at not fainting at the first sign of trouble...

"What seems to be the problem, Fiona?" I asked, looking at the charts over her shoulder. I noticed her face turn slightly pink as she explained that she might've found the location of the sugar bowl. Although I didn't know what it contained, I knew it was important and the wrong side of VFD couldn't get their greedy hands on it. "If the stream goes this way, then this current should take the sugar bowl this way into that current. Repeat that until we reach here." I said as I examined the tidal charts. I pointed to a small oval shape on the map marked 'A. A.'

"Anwhistle Aquatics?" She asked after checking the key, "That place burned to the ground and is above water. The sugar bowl couldn't be there, unless..." Her voice trailed off. She quickly searched through her other books. "The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations says that Gregor Anwhistle was working on something in an underwater cave underneath the Aquatics center. It's dangerous... In the Gorgonian Grotto." I didn't like the sound of this already. In ancient Greek mythology, Gorgons were mythical creatures with snakes for hair. Fiona's dark eyes were filled with fear behind her triangular shaped glasses. She walked over to the cupboard where she kept her mycology books and magazines. "Mushroom Minutae mentioned the fatal fungus in that grotto." She whispered just loudly enough so I could hear it.

I swallowed in some air. "Fatal?" I asked worriedly. She nodded softly, "I'm afraid so. But it's okay; I'll be here to protect you from it." She said, intertwining our fingers. I quickly yanked my hand away. "I'm sorry Fiona. I don't like you like that. I still miss Isadora Quagmire." I admitted. That actually felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Fiona nodded. "I see. But then why did you smile at me so nicely?" She asked.

I let out a light chuckle, "Sometimes a smile is just a smile. I'm sure one day, you'll find a man who is perfect for you."
" Thank you, Klaus. Please tell me about Isadora."
"She was beautiful, intelligent, funny, sassy, basically amazing in every way and better than that. Violet likes her triplet brother, Duncan."
"Who's the other triplet?"

I smirked at her for a moment. "I think you'd like him. His name is Quigley. Shaggy hair. Freckles. He's a cartographer. I'm sure he'd fancy you." She blushed deep red before standing up.

"Klaus Baudelaire, it is my solemn duty to return you to your beloved Isadora Quagmire." She declared, adjusting her glasses. I laughed at her eagerness to help me on the matter. "Thank you, but right now we have bigger problems than my love life. We have a deadly fungus to deal with." She nodded and followed the table of contents. "Medusoid Mycelium." She read before flipping to the page. "Ah here it is. 'One spore has such grim power; That you may die within the hour.' That doesn't sound pleasant."

Although it really didn't sound pleasant, I couldn't help but smile. "That was a couplet. My favorite poet uses them."
"Ogden Nash?"
"Nope. Isadora Quagmire."

*******
692 words

A/N: Sorry for the two short chapters. Not much inspiration has struck recently lol. I think they both turned out well nonetheless!