part fifty seven

Maya settled comfortably at the breakfast table. And looked at Nandini standing next.

" Do me a favour sweetheart. Kindly call Sonara to the breakfast table.
And is Jai alright now? "

" I've already informed Sonara. She seems unwell and has asked for the breakfast to be served in her room.... "

" I knew she would say exactly this, darling! But your duty is to summon her as per my orders, not produce her sides to me. " , Maya spoke in her deep harsh voice.

Nandini nodded meekly. And added,
" Jai sir hasn't woken up. Samson has been to his room. "

" Good. Now go. "

Sonara slowly sat down at the table.
She was too weak to even greet Maya.
She hadn't laid down on the bed for once in the night. Added to that, she knew what Maya's enquiry would be. And she wasn't at all ready to face them.

But, she was nothing more than a guest who stood nowhere close to demeaning Maya's orders. Hence she walked towards the dining space as reluctantly as she could.

" Good morning Sonara. You really look sick. Haven't you slept well? "
Maya asked, forking papaya pieces.

" No.
I mean....yes I did. " , Sonara answered unmindfully.

" Fine. I thought you were really stressed, and couldn't rest. "

Sonara remained silent.
Her eyes searched for Jai. Though she very well knew he was not in the position to wake up this early.

" Jai drank a lot last night. He sometimes behaves so awkward.

Samson had to snatch away bottles from him. He hardly drinks at home, that too in the living room. He even denied being helped to the bedroom. "
Maya looked at Sonara.

Sonara immediately stopped looking around and concentrated on the plate in front. Maya was just too smart.

" I wonder if he himself went to the bedroom or was helped by someone. Maybe one of the servants who hasn't turned up today. "

Sonara felt fumes escaping her ears.
Even a child would realize that Maya was testing her.

Now, the picture was growingly clear.
Maya wanted to get her married off to someone else, just to secure her brother.
Because she had guessed that......

" Anyways.

Sonara, did you think about the proposal Ashish came up with last evening? "

Maya's eyes penetrated Sonara. She did not feel good about anything at present. Even Maya's presence seemed uncomfortable.

" Errm.... I.... "

" It's okay. No hurry on my part.
Take your time. Choose wise.
Your answer is welcome anyday. Today, tomorrow, the day after, post your meet ups with him... "

" Meet ups? " , Sonara felt her throat getting dry.

Maya squeezed her brows and smiled.
" Yes, meet ups!
What's so strange about that?
How will you both know each other, else? "

Sonara swallowed, nothing in particular.

" Listen Sonara.

I know, our past traumatises us many a times.
There are memories we don't want to relive, yet we cannot let go.

But look at your age. You are so young to not give life second chances! "

Sonara struggled within.
Second chances were welcome maybe, but not with just anyone. But she chose silence, yet again.