Familiar faces

Words: 1229

It took a moment as Raphael entered the place for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. Hearing that Eryn was looking for Ezekiel seem to raise up another questions.

"Does Ezekiel live here? You know he could be out doing something I read that doctors would do home visits. I know it's not a problem in our side because we have nurse drones that take care of one 24/7"

"Yeah, but he's always here.. let me check in the back room"

she began walking to the back curtain

"Oh.."

She stopped

"Wait here"

She said before walking behind the curtain.
Raphael paused for a moment looking at Eryn.

"Okay...?"

He stood there there he adjusted the mask that was on his face. It started to irritate him and worst off he had an itch on the tip of his nose. He just shifted his weight from one foot to the other as he waited for Eryn to come back

"Zee..?"

Her voice soon faded out as she got further away and into the room. Moments later Eryn screamed a loud ear shrieking scream, echoing from the far back of the room to the front

He was about to scratch his take off the mask when he herd the loud scream. He took an involuntary step back, but then decided against it. He held his breath and dashed in a knife in had as he came to one side of Eryn.

"What's going on!?"

Eryn screaming soon turned to laughing as Ezekiel, a very large dark skinned man was holding her up in the air, he had a simple fabric grey mask and a pair of bronze goggles resting on his head. He set her down as she calmed herself when he heard Raphael

"Who are you?"

He quickly asked he had a deep intimidating voice

"Zee, don't worry he's with me.."

She said in between giggles

Raphaels heart was pounding and the adrenaline running through his system began to fade. His hand became weak as he looked at the man standing before him.

"U-u-ummm."

At that moment he seem to forget everything from talking to even his name. It seem that his courage and adrenaline had already faded into the air

Eryn noticed how uncomfortable he was and quickly helped to get Ezekiel's attention off him

"Hey! Zee, I've got some supplies"

Ezekiel looked over at Eryn and crossed his arms

"Did you steal from the Merces again..?"

"Hehe, yeah.."

She said holding up the bag of meds and other supplies, Ezekiel shook his head and sighed as he grabbed the bag and walked off to put them away

"I appreciate your help, and so do my patients. But you know how dangerous that is, and you know how much I'm against it. I can't have you dying on me. Their guardians have been getting stronger-"

"So have I!! Fire isn't as difficult anymore- I-I think"

"You THINK. How much energy does it drain.. you know pushing yourself will only kill you"

She sighed and looked down

It took Raphael a moment but his shoulders dropped all tension began to subside.

"I'm sorry"

He looked at his feet like a kid who had been scolded for doing something bad. In a mumble he responded

"I'm Raphael. And It's a pleasure to meet you."

He looked up but notice that Ezekiel and Eryn where talking. He rises a brow as he watched the two exchange.

"What do you mean? What would kill her, using her power?"

Ezekiel and Eryn both looked at Raphael almost in sync, Eryn looked away knowing the answer

"Eryn, is very stubborn, but she's also very strong. Those aren't always the best mix. She trains herself to become stronger, I don't know how long you've known her but I'm sure you've seen her in action. Her powers revolve around elements, some she's strong with others not so much. But the more she pushes herself, it drains her of her energy, and soon if she pushes herself to where she can't do anything, her powers energy will give out and kill her."

Ezekiel faced Eryn and placed a hand on her shoulder

"I know you only want to help our people, but you need to take care of yourself. I hope that's what you're for, she's never mentioned you. I think this is the first boyfriend she's brought"

"We-.. erm.. Zee- he's-"

Ezekiel stomped towards Raphael

"What did you say your name was again? Are you a hybrid like us? What can you do?"

Raphael just nods and listening to Ezekiel explanation. His eyes widen in amazement when he hears how strong Eryn was. He smiled widely as if it was a small kid seeing his favorite superhero to the VR screens.

"That's amazing! And no I never knew she was that strong"

He then became a beat red when Ezekiel began teasing Eryn about him being Eryns boyfriend. This time he listen to his body and took a step back. But that was when Ezekiel had gotten close to him.

"Raphael..... I'm, I, I... uhhhh"

He glances over at Eryn because she never told him what to say in this situation. But then decided to just speak the truth.

"No..... I'm a... Merce....."

The last work he said it between his teeth

"Excuse me?"

He said in a low growl, Eryn ran in front of Raphael looking up at Ezekiel

"He's a Merce! But before you say anything..."

She started and she reached back and grabbed Raphael's hand

"Play along"

She sent a message to him, only he could hear her

"He's just nervous, he IS my boyfriend. I met him on one of my trips to the clean city.. promise me you won't question, hurt, or tell anyone about him"

She said practically demanding from him. He stared at her, then At Raphael

"A merce huh..?"

He sighed

"Alright so you're dating a merce, again another dangerous life choice.. but I cannot control your feelings. Now he looks like he's scared for his life, you two better scatter before anyone else finds out- and Eryn, take him back home.."

He told her, she smiled and nodded, still holding his hand she dragged him out the building

If Raphael could be a Christmas ornament he face would be the star atop the tree. He was glowing red when Eryn took his hand let alone she ask him to play along. Her voice was clear as day in his mind. But then she mentioned that they where going out. Well that got him sweating bullets. Raphael just played along and tried his best to smile despite the embarrassment he felt.

"I.... I....."

Was all he he could muster, before he let Eryn drag him off.

As soon as they got out of the hospital, still holding his  hand she looked around to see if anyone was there as soon as she knew the coast was clear, she yanked her hand away

"Don't ever mention that again.. got it?"

She said getting close to his face. She then looked up at the sky and saw it started getting dark, she sighed

"Come on.. let's go to my place, it's getting dark, that's when the guardians come through.. I don't know why, but they've been sending them through here a lot lately.."