Chapter 5

Jack had been arrested. Today was his trial. Some of the newsies that were at the rally last night were standing in front of the judge.

"Now are any of ya represented by council?" The judge asked.

We all looked at each other in confusion.

"Good." The judge said, "That will move things along."

"Ay your honor I object." Spot announced.

"On what grounds?" The judge asked sternly.

"On the grounds of Brooklyn, your honor." Spot said.

He clearly didn't know what he was talking about. We all started giggling.

The judge banged his gavel.

"I fine each of you five dollars." The judge announced.

"Ay!" Race argued, "five bucks? We don't even have five cents!"

I put my hand on his shoulder.

Suddenly the gates opened and in stepped Denton.

"I'll pay the fines." Denton said, "all of them."

"Ay where's Jack?" I asked. Just when I said that, the side doors opened to reveal two officers holding Jack's arms.

"Heya fellas." He said, smiling despite the fact that he was most likely going to be sent to the refuge.

"Hey Jack!" Some of us yelled.

______________________________________

"I sentence you to four years in the house of refuge." The judge decided, banging his gavel.

Jack won't survive that long.

______________________________________

"So." Race said.

"So." I echoed.

We were wandering the streets of Manhattan after the trial.

"Are we gonna break Jack out err..." Race asked.

"I don't know." I answered. I had been doing a whole lot of "not knowing" lately.

Without knowing it, we had crossed the Brooklyn bridge.

"Aw shit." I said, realizing where we were.

"I have to talk with my 'business partner' here." He said, "You gotta come with me."

I hope it's not where I think it is.

Aaandd he led the way all the way to,,, the docks. Fuck.

We walked down the dock to a crowd of boys. We pushed our way through the crowd to the middle, where Race found his "business partner".

I heard someone whistle.

I am just about to lose my freaking marbles.

I whirled around and bitch slapped the guilty son of a bitch.

"Oooooooh!" The other boys said in unison.

It was a boy who was at least a foot taller than me, and looked much older. He was holding the side of his face. He took his grimy hand and tilted my chin up.

"I like em' feisty." He said, licking his lips.

Why am I even straight?

I stared into his eyes and proceeded to  beat the shit out of him. I kicked him in the groin and when he doubled over I kicked him in the stomach, causing him to fall into the water. I ran by where Race was and grabbed him by the arm. We ran towards Spot's throne and climbed over it. I looked behind us to see the boys from the dock and now Spot chasing after us. We ran down the main road and into an alley. We were cornered. The boys slowly started closing in.