August 2nd / Part 2

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

"I'm dying,"

I shrugged and began to speak, "That's not that ba-" But, before finishing my sentence, what she said had struck me. I quickly looked straight at her, my eyes widened. "You're... dying...?" I muttered.

She slowly nodded and put on the most pitiful smile I had ever seen in my life. "I only have a few months left, actually. It's a Pancreatic disease that slowly eats away at me, but it doesn't affect my daily life all that much,"

"And you haven't told any of your friends? Shouldn't they be the first ones you tell?" I asked somewhat desperately. This sudden news, even if I didn't know her well at all, was taking its effect on me.

She chuckled and scratched the back of her head. "Yeah, you'd think they would be the easiest to tell... But, it's actually the opposite," she explained. "I don't want to take up their time with worrying about me,"

"I don't think they would mind if it were for a good friend," I said. "Isn't that what friends are all about?"

'That was just an educated guess, but it felt like I was saying something right,' I thought. 'This situation has never happened to me, so it's really hard to choose what to say,'

"I guess you could say that," she said while tilting her head to the side. "But, I'd rather keep this to myself,"

"Then who are you going to talk to when you have problems or hardships? If you don't tell your friends, then you won't have anyone to talk to about this," I said, attempting to talk some sense into her.

Then, she closed her eyes and smiled. "That's where you come in, [F/N],"

"Huh?" I questioned.

"Since you know my secret, I'll be able to talk to you about it," she said.

I stuck my hand out telling her to stop for a minute. "Wait, wait, wait. I thought we would go our separate ways after this lunch. You were just returning the favor, right?" I asked.

"Mhm! At first, it was just that. But, now, I want you to spend my last moments with me!" she exclaimed while leaning forward on the table.

I leaned back away from her in shock. "Wha?! Why are you making it sound like some kind of confession?! I don't even know anything about you other than your disease!" I rambled.

She giggled. "I guess it could be a confession," she said with a sly smirk. "I've never dated anyone, after all,"

My face grew extremely red and I quickly stood up.

Mina started to laugh excessively. "Haha!! I'm just joking! Look how red you are!"

"Sh-shut up! I'm going home!" I shouted.

As I began to walk away I heard Mina get up from her chair and run over to me. She grabbed my shirt sleeve and pulled, getting me to stop.

"What?" I asked.

She shoved a small piece of paper in my face with numbers written on it. "Here's my contact info! Make sure to text me, okay?" she said.

I scoffed. "Are you sure you want to give me this? What if I don't text you at all?"

"I'm sure you will!" she exclaimed with an innocent smile. "Anyway, do you wanna hang out tomorrow?" she asked.

I sighed. "I'm just gonna stay in tomorrow. These last two days have been exhausting," 

"Hmm, okay then. How about Saturday?" she asked again.

"No can do, either. I'm actually hanging out with a friend that day,"

Mina pouted. "Aww..." She slouched over and stared at the ground. It was obvious what she was trying to pull. And, even though I knew what she was doing, I still fell for it.

I cleared my throat and put her contact info in my pocket. "Well... I probably won't be busy on Sunday if you-"

"Alright! Then it's a date!" she shouted.

My face grew red once more. "A d-date?!" 

"Yep!" she exclaimed. "I'll come to pick you up on Sunday and we'll decide what to do then!" She ran in front of me and over to the exit of the McDonald's.

I took a step forward. "W-wait! Do I get a say in this?" I asked.

She turned around and smiled at me. "Nope! See you then!" she said before leaving.

This event was one I will never forget, for many reasons. It was the start of a new path for me, the start of the best month of my life, and the start of the worst month of my life.

-End of August 2nd-