Lessons

*All of these came from http://www.moonlightmessages.com/tips-for-beginners/wicca-study-checklist*

   Do you wonder what Subject you should study? Well here is a few..

HistoryStudying the history of one's religion, traditions, superstitions, and beliefs provide perspective on how such paths came about and why they are relevant. By studying history you find new respect for old views, strengthen your own beliefs, or even determine which modes of thinking may be too outdated and require renewal. Areas of study include:Ancient culturesWitchcraft in various geographical locationsDifferent Wiccan traditionsWhere Wicca fits in in societyRoots of words (Wicca, Witch, Witchcraft, coven, Warlock, etc.) to understand cultural issuesMisconceptions and fact vs. fictionA difference in Wicca ("The Religion of Witchcraft") and other Witchcraft pathsModern witch hunts, discrimination, political movements, Burning TimesHistorical inaccuraciesControversiesMythologyAlphabets & languagesBeliefsWhen studying any new religion or way of life, the beliefs are the core area of study. Why? Because the set of beliefs in religion or way of life is what differentiates it from other religions or ways of life. Here are some topics of belief to get you started:What differentiates Wicca from other religionsBasic beliefs of Wicca & the differences in traditionsSpirituality vs. religionThe Goddess, God, & the AllBuilding a relationship with DeityThe Wiccan RedeReincarnationKarma vs. Three-fold Law vs. Law of ReturnSkycladPersonal responsibilityWhat makes one a Wiccan, Witch, or PaganAncestor worshipHigher selfMagickal namesSymbolsMusic, dance, and dramaThe role of creativityElementsDepending on who you talk to the elements are the building blocks of life, everything, or possibly spiritual entities that rule over specific areas of creation. Understanding the role of the elements in Wicca can help to connect you with nature and the Gods. To begin building a relationship with the Elements, study:What they areMagickal CorrespondencesDifferent cultural understandings (ex: Chinese vs. Wicca)Role in naturePurpose in WiccaTechniques to help connect with the ElementsToolsTools in Wicca and Witchcraft serve a myriad of purposes. How important are they to you? Understanding what they are, how they work, and how they are used will help you answer that question. Be sure to research:Ritual toolsDifferences in ceremonial magick vs. folk magickShopping for vs. making your ownPurpose in magickClothingRole tools play in Wicca and magickWhat is necessaryAlternatives when the suggested tool is unavailable to youMagickal CorrespondencesCreating journals & BoSUse & storageCleansing, consecration, & chargingCovens, Groups, SolitaryA hierarchical structure is important to know in every aspect of life; business, community, government, military, etc. Humans are not alone in this as knowing and abiding by hierarchical structures can mean the difference between survival and death, success and failure, acceptance and rejection, etc. Studying the different structures within Wicca provides similar survival and acceptance. Topics to research include:Different forms of practiceHow to determine good groups from badWhat to expect from groupsPros & cons of each (coven vs. groups vs. solitary)Degree systems (and how they differ between groups)Joining a study groupRules, etiquette, & ethicsOnline communitiesLetting others know vs staying in the "broom" closetHow to find local Pagans (although not always Wiccan)Seeking a mentor (what to expect & what to watch for)Metaphysical shops, workshops, & classesYour own beliefs, values, & preferences (to help in finding the right fit for you)HolidaysThe celebrations of a particular religion are key to understanding what is important to that particular religion. Each holy day carries with it spiritual understanding, guidance, and reverence. What is important to Wiccans? Here are some areas you can research to find out:Ritual daysAlternate days of powerHistory of Sabbats & EsbatsDifferent cultural traditionsRelation with other religionsThe Sabbats & EsbatsOther celebrationsLore (the various versions)Rites of passageDrawing Down the MoonMoon phases & loreMeditationMeditation serves many purposes both spiritually and in the mundane world. In Wicca, this practice is important for setting the stage for effective magick and journeying between worlds. It's a lifelong practice with lifelong benefits. To get started:Different relaxation techniquesBenefits & purposesLevels of consciousnessPreparationDreamsThe additional benefit of physical exercise (yoga, t'ai chi, cardio)Breathing techniquesJourneying, trance, and astral travelChakrasMeditation spaceGuided vs unguidedAkashic RecordsDivination & ChannelingThe Witch is so connected with fortune telling and conversing with spirits that to study a Witchcraft-centered faith would be silly without it. Not every Witch chooses to do these things and some are outright uncomfortable with channeling directly (for several reasons). Still, it is an important area of study for the novice Witch.Different forms of divination (tarot, I-Ching, astrology, scrying, runes, etc.)How channeling worksPrecautionsImportance of interpretationsAvoiding judgement or bias in readingsPsychic abilities (scientific & metaphysical thoughts)BrainwavesIntuition & forms of intuitive abilityExercises to improve abilitiesSymbolsDreamsSynchronicity vs coincidenceReading for yourself vs othersCommuning with the dead/ancestorsSacred SpaceMore often than not, discussions of sacred space in Wicca appear limited to ritual and magick. However, that's hardly the case. All religions share the concept of sacred space. What makes a space sacred? Why is it so important? What purpose does it serve? To answers these questions begin with:Ritual spaceCirclesSpecial roomsAltarsNatureDifferent casting methodsDifferent purposesEmergency SituationsEnergy centers, ley lines, haunted places, & healing springsSpirit of the landLimitationsSharing space (spiritual & mundane)Directions (North, East, South, West)Cleansing & preppingMagick & SpellcastingPerhaps most important in a Witchcraft-oriented faith is that of magick and spellcasting. Because this is not limited to Wicca (Witchcraft comes in many forms, and magick is practiced in non-Witchcraft paths as well) areas of research are unlimited. Here is a list to get you started:Energy work & practicesFocusing intentSpell writingDifferent types of magick (elemental, folk, lunar, solar, ceremonial, candle, etc.)Releasing energyCleansing vs. banishingProtectionHexing & healingPersonal powerWorking with other energies (deities, stones, plants, animals)FamiliarsSex magick (purposes & ethics)Invocations & EvocationsWitches' PyramidTiming & other correspondencesPreparation (grounding & centering)The Cone of PowerScientific laws of nature (to understand the energies we work with)Music & danceShifts in consciousness (& brain waves)Magickal traditions & ordersEnergy HealingVarious sciencesAstronomy/Cosmology/Astrophysics ("as above, so below")Biology & Microbiology ("as above, so below")Earth & Environmental science (know & understand what you're working with)Medicine (particularly anatomy & related to help with healing magick)Physics & Quantum Physics (avoid pseudoscience; learn the laws of the universe in which we live, get a grasp of what energy is and how it works/transforms)Psychology (because it never hurts, er, I mean: understand yourself better, build compassion for others, and particularly useful for Shadowwork)