Chapter Thirty-Six: Let Them In

Start from the beginning

       “Is she mute?” Willy asked, stopping his clicking for a minute to look from me to Cleo.

      Cleo gave a sideways glance in my direction and let out a breath.  “No.  Well yes.  No.  She is but by choice. She hasn’t spoken in over five months.”

       “Why?” Casper asked, cocking his head to once side but not taking his gaze off of me.

     The way he was staring at me made me feel like I was some exotic new animal a scientist was trying to figure out.  When Casper stared at me I felt naked like my barriers that I kept up weren’t there anymore and I was an open target.

       “She doesn’t like to talk about it,” Cleo replied.  Then she started sputtering and then full on laughing.  “Get it?  ‘Cause she doesn’t talk!”

     Casper turned his gaze away from me to roll his eyes at Cleo.  “Yeah, I get it, Cleo.”

     Willy let out a small chuckle and went back to clicking.  Cleo shrugged her shoulders and started walking off.

     “Hey!  Where’re you going?” Casper called over her, craning his neck around me.

      “I figured you, the experts, could figure out what song she’d sing.  After all, this is your job.”

      “That’s not fair, Cleo!  She doesn’t even talk!” Casper whined.

     “Good luck,” she called over her shoulder and disappearing down an aisle.

       Casper and Willy looked at me, like they were undressing me with their eyes.  I took a small step away from them, hoping they’d take the hint to stop staring.

     “What are we gonna do, Will?” Casper whispered.

      “Just keep playing songs until you see her connect,” Willy replied calmly and then the beginning of the first song played.

       Thirty minutes later, they were no closer to picking a song for me.  I didn’t make a move at any of the songs they played.  No tears, a smile, a flinch, a pout, nothing.  I kept the same emotionless look.

       “My turn,” Casper shoved Willy out of the chair and started clicking away at the screen.  One thing I noticed about Casper: he was pretty much five-years-old.  He said what he wanted and was very impatient.

      The beginning chores of a piano started.  A few seconds later a guy started singing.  “Say something, I’m giving up on you.”

       Willy shoved Casper out of the way and paused the music.  “Really?”  Willy asked.

      “Hey, since she isn’t relating to anything I thought I would let her know how I feel.”  Casper shrugged.

      “Not funny,” Cleo said walking up and touching my shoulder in greeting.

      “Like your jokes are?”  Casper smirked.

     Cleo put her hand up and then shook her head.  “I don’t even know how you could say that to me right now.  Y’all know I’m a comedian.”

     “Don’t quit your day job,” he coughed.

       “Anyways, since you two couldn’t figure something out for my friend here, Wiley and I figured something out for her.”  Cleo handed them a piece of paper.  “Thanks for the help, boys.  See you in a few weeks for the show.”

       As we walked away Cleo paused and called over her shoulder.  “Tell Seamoore I said hi and not to be a stranger.”

      “Will do,” Willy replied, waving goodbye.

     Cleo guided me out of the store and back to the van.  Everyone was already piled in there, leaving me the seat closest to the door to smoosh into.  

     Before I could open the van door, Cleo put her hand over mine.  “See how awkward that felt?  That’s how we all feel around you, all the time.  You might know us, but we don’t know you. It’s hard for them letting you in when you won’t let them in.”

       She let go of my hand and walked around the driver’s side leaving what she said to sink in. 

_______

Okay, yes, I know... not a very exciting chapter, please bare with me.  This chapter is to set something up for something waaaay down the line, so yes, it is necassary to have this not very exciting chapter.  

I have done my final outline of this story and there will be a totaly of 50 chapters.  So 14 more chapters to go and then this story will be finished!  (unless I change my plan and add more chapters...). 

Please remember to vote and comment!  Also leave me song suggestions that you think best relate to each of the 5 group therapy members ;)  

Last thing:  What character has been your favorite?  Why?  And did you like them since the beginning? Can't wait to see what you guys say! 

Dedicated to JenniferYellets for all her support, help and honesty.