Me: Yes, what's up?

She responds in a few seconds.

Allie: would it be okay if you video chatted with me so i could sort of sit in on the case?

I ask if it's alright with everyone and when they all say yes, I hit the FaceTime option and it starts ringing before Allie's face appears on my screen.

"Hi," The girl says, giving me a small smile.

"Hey, let me set you somewhere so you can see..."

I set my phone on the TV stand and Emily goes on with the case, explaining the main details to Allie before going on to talk about the most recent murders.

"Just like every other case, the women were shot several times and the men either once or twice. two shots to the husband and six to the wife, both parent's eyes were removed. One shot to each child in the head. The children were covered up in their beds, a sign of remorse..." She says with a sigh. "Now, we know there's extensive overkill with the wives. We profiled that he identifies with the men, all being hardworking business men, and that he believes the women drag them down. Perhaps a woman made him lose an important job opportunity..."

Bits and pieces of the case from all those years ago find their way back into my mind.

"The kids weren't part of his plan, which is why he covered them up and didn't remove their eyes. He only killed them to cover his tracks, he didn't want to chance having the kids expose him." JJ adds in.

I look over at my phone, seeing Allie looking at us with her nose scrunched up and her eyes narrowed. I can practically see the gears in her head cranking and turning.

"Allie, what are you thinking about?" I ask, getting everyone to look over at my phone.

She opens her mouth to say something, then closes it again. "I...I have a theory, but I don't wanna seem like I'm showing you guys up or make myself look like a total idiot-"

"Anything can be helpful. What is it?" Rossi asks her.

"Well, I know that there's this sort of... prerequisite that to be a murderer, you need to be a white male in your mid to late thirties, but... what if this was a woman?" My girlfriend suggests, pulling her hair back into a ponytail. "And if the kids weren't part of the plan, and she's going easy on the men...maybe she's jealous? They have something she doesn't? Or if she's showing remorse for the kids, maybe this is more about them?"

"The kids," Tara sighs. "It wasn't about those kids specifically, but kids in general..."

"She's targeting families, right? Something she can't have because she can't have kids..." Allie shrugs, looking unsure. "She didn't want to hurt the kids, so that's why she showed remorse for them. But that's just my theory, I-"

"Actually, I think you're right," Emily looks at the phone. "How did you come up with that?"

"I just kind of...put myself in their shoes. If I was the unsub and I was going crazy on these women, it'd be because I was jealous. Maybe because they had something that I don't, something that I can't have. And that's the only thing I could think of...she can't have a family because she can't have a kid. So, she targets the 'picture perfect' type of family. It's what she wants..."

After that huge break in the case, thanks to Allie, we work for a little bit longer before deciding to call it a night. I head home, calling Allie on the landline at my apartment before taking off. I set my phone to speaker and put it in the cup holder, listening to her talk more about the case. I'm in awe of how she cracked the case open, showing us something that we didn't even think of. It never even crossed our minds. She rambles on about how she wonders if it could have been someone that her parents knew.