twenty two

I stared at Finnick as he went on about how to properly work a fishing drop. A fishing drop is something District 4 is known for. I still didn't quite understand it, so I just acted interested, to entertain his ego. "See, then you have to work your arm up like this," he continued, yanking his arm from next to his feet and up to his chest, while also, subconsciously flexing his muscle. Past him, Peeta was glaring over, seeming slightly jealous of my friendship with Finnick, but also protective.

"Wow, that is so interesting, Finn." I smirked over at him, resting my chin in my hand, while he laughed at my remark.

"Arizona," a voice called and I turned to see Sid signaling me to follow. I rushed over to him and we walked into a room around the corner. "Now, I know it's a bit much," he began and I waited for him to reveal my outfit for the interviews that took place in 30 minutes. He turned me around and I found myself staring at the most gorgeous dress I had ever laid my eyes on. "Since you love to make statements." He smirked. I walked over to it, placing the fabric in between both my fingers.

"Snow's going to flip." I smirked in response. Sid helped me get it on and I stared at the mirror at myself. "So we're straying away from the black, I see." I noted about the pure milk white dress placed over my body.

"Well, you wouldn't be able to see the blood stains if it were, now would you?" He asked, placing antlers atop my head as we always did.

I made my way down the hall, eyes shooting towards me and whispers filling my ears. It was quite a look that no one would dare to try. But I loved it. "Woah, who'd you kill?" Finn laughed and Peeta looked to me from nearby, then made his way over.

"It's called making a statement, Finn." I rolled my eyes at him. "The Capitol will see this as a reminder of the people they've killed. Or let die." I told him, proud of my fashion statement, knowing it'd probably be my last.

"This is," Peeta began but couldn't think of the proper words. I glared at him. "I mean it looks... compelling." He looked at the dark red drenching the bottom of the dress as an ombrè style. It looked as though I had a white gown on, and then I walked through a pool of blood, soaking and staining the tips. It was a perfect statement for these Games and I was ready for the backlash I'd recieve.

"And now, from the Capitol, taking part as District 6's victor and now tribute once more, Arizona Stark!" Caesar called out from the stage. Here we go. I walked on, hearing the applause from around me. "Well, hello!" He looked down at the bottom of my dress and then replaced his eyes to me. 11 of the other previous victors stood on a platform of risers behind me. They looked like trophies in a collection being displayed for all of Panem. Like objects. Because that's what we had been. Objects in this continuous cycle of death and injustice. "So tell us about this look," he insisted.

"Oh, Caesar, are you sure you want to know?" I asked with a fake smile. "It's to represent the others that lost their lives in these games. The ones that the Capitol" i stopped myself, before proceeding, "Well, killed." I smiled, looking directly into the camera.

"Well, I uh, wouldn't say it's necessarily the Capitols fault-,"

"Oh, no, Caesar, it is. They rounded up a bunch of children to be brutally slaughtered and fight for their lives on television for entertainment. I mean kill or be killed, am I right?" I nudged him and his facial expression dropped but I let that smile stay plastered across my face.

"Well, uh, Arizona Stark!" He cut the interview short as I turned and walked onto the platform with the others, standing myself next to Cassian.

"That was ballsy." He muttered to me.

"He speaks!" I exclaimed in a hushed tone, smirking to him and watching his mouth turn into a small smile.

As interviews continued on, each previous victor continued to try to make the audience feel sorry for them. In attempts to get the games cancelled. But it wouldn't work. And by the end, we stood there, hand in hand with our arms raised to the sky. We will not let this tear us down.

We were all together in this now.