Found

The ride to the hospital was filled with nervous tension. This was it. I was finally going to meet the guys. Sure, they were in comas, but they were real.

Luckily, I had saved up enough cash to ride to and from the hospital. It wasn't always that my father gave me money, but I used it sparingly when he did.

The bus groaned as it pulled to a stop in front of the hospital. With shaky legs, I stepped off and stared up at the wide building. It was intimidating, and I didn't know where to start.

Heading inside, I studied the map of the building, hoping to find a place to start looking for them.

There was a nurse's desk near the front, and I ambled up to it as I nibbled on my lip.

"Can I help you, dear?" a nurse asked, pausing what she was doing on her computer.

"Um, I don't know. I'm trying to find some. . . friends of mine. This is my first time visiting them."

She nodded in understanding. "You said you had more than one friend here? And what are their names?"

I hugged my torso. "Kota, Victor, Silas, Nathan, Gabriel, Luke, North, Sean, and Owen. They were-"

"Involved in a car accident several years ago," she finished for me. Her gaze studied me with new interest. "I don't believe they've had anyone besides family visit for a long time. Let me call someone down so they can guide you there."

"Guide me? Oh, that's okay. If you just tell me where to go, I can find it."

She shook her head, already paging someone. "No, Dr. Roberts will be excited that someone hasn't forgotten them."

She handed me a sign in sheet while I waited for Dr. Roberts. Moments later, an older gentleman with white hair and a kind smile exited an elevator. He beelined for us and grinned at the nurse.

"Hello, what can I do for you?" he asked, peeking at me out of the corner of his eye. "Who's this young lady?"

"She's here to see your boys."

His blue eyes widened as he stared at me. "Really?"

"Mhm," the nurse said, returning to her work on the computer. "Do you mind showing her to their room?"

"Not at all!" the man, Dr. Roberts, said. He strolled toward me and stuffed his hands in the front pockets of his smock. "Follow me."

Together, we rode the elevator up a few floors. Other nurses and doctors greeted Dr. Roberts as we passed by, and I hid in his shadow to avoid attention. I wasn't sure where the boys were, or if they were even coming, but I hoped they showed up soon. I was a nervous wreck.

Maybe he noticed my tension, because he made casual small talk—asking my name, how old I was, what I liked to do for fun—and even offered me some strawberry candy. It wasn't until we were near the end of the hall, where there was hardly any staff, that I felt it.

My heart jolted, thumping unevenly with each step of my feet. The boys were close. I could feel them.

Dr. Roberts motioned me into the large room with a sorrowful smile. "They're in here. I'll let you have some privacy, so stay as long as you'd like."

I stopped him as he was about to exit the room. "You knew them, didn't you?" By the way the nurse had acted, it sure seemed so.

His gaze met mine, and he nodded. "Yes, I knew them. I've known them since they were young men. I was actually there when the accident happened."

"I'm sorry," I murmured, and he shook his head as he patted my arm

"It was an unfortunate incident. I'm just glad they have someone here to visit them after all this time. They always kept to themselves, and I had all but given up hope that they had friends outside their group."