Chapter 1

i didn't believe it when i heard what had happened to my adopted parents. i thought it was some kind of cruel, twisted joke. it wasn't until i was shipped off to live with my three brothers when i realized that this was no joke.

it was a nightmare.

before i go on, i should probably tell you my background:

i was born ivye mae curtis in 1951 to my real parents. i had my three brothers named sodapop, darrel (known as darry), and ponyboy. i've always hated my brothers, i have always wanted nothing to do with them. the weird thing is, i have no idea why. its just a gut feeling. i also had a feeling they didn't like me either. i mean, i can't blame them. i wouldn't like it if i lived with my sisters and then had to suddenly introduce a new baby boy to the group.

when i was four, my parents gave me up for adoption. at the time, pony had just turned five, soda was six, and darry was ten. i was devastated to leave my parents, but was excited to finally leave my brothers.

i was soon adopted by a new family, and they were amazing. the loved me and cared for me like i was their own. after living with my adopted family for ten years, i received the news that my biological parents had died in a car crash. i was so numb over that fact that i didn't even cry. i just stared into space for hours, not being able to feel that pain. i thought it couldn't get any worse.

oh, was i wrong.

a week after, my adoptive parents died in a fire while at a friends house. i then realized i was on my own, with no one to look over me. and thats where my story begins.

i was in my room in my now deserted house silently crying. i heard a knock on the door from downstairs as i quickly wiped away a tear. i opened the door and saw an older woman with a clipboard.

"are you ms. ivye curtis?" the lady asked.

"uh, yeah, thats me. why?" i questioned.

"im mrs. howell from child care services, and im taking you to live with your relatives."

i paused to think about which relatives lived in the area. "who is it?" i asked.

"your three brothers that live in tulsa, oklahoma." she stated. my jaw dropped as i said, "oh no, i am not going to live with those assholes."

"watch your language!" mrs. howell said. "im sorry, but you have no choice. go pack up your belongings and meet me down here."

i sighed and rolled my eyes. i couldn't go live with my brothers, i haven't seen them in ten years! pony would now be fourteen or fifteen (depending on his birthday) soda will be sixteen, and darry will be twenty.

i shoved my clothes into a small backpack i had and grabbed some old photos and memories, along with some money. i looked around the room one last time to see if i forgot anything. i quickly left, not being able to bear looking at that room any longer. i went downstairs and saw mrs. howell waiting.

"alright, we'll be on our way." we walked outside and got into her small, cramped car. she started it up and we drove off. the car was silent for a while until i asked, "do my brothers know im coming?"

"well, they sure will know when we show up to their door." mrs. howell tried to make a joke, but it didn't exactly work. she nervously laughed as i stayed silent. i didn't live that far from tulsa, only about an hour and a half away.

about forty five minutes into our drive, i decided i needed to fix my hair. when mrs. howell came to pick me up, i still had my pajamas on and bed head. i put it in a low ponytail and leaving my hair in its naturally wavy state and put a scrunchie in. i guess my pajamas were ok; it was just an old grey hoodie and black shorts.

i stared out the window for the remainder of the ride, looking at all of the sights, cars, and people passing by. i zoned back into reality when we pulled into a house and mrs. howell said "we're here!" in a cheery voice.

i sighed and closed my eyes, praying that it wouldn't be too awkward when i saw them. this house was my childhood home, and i was recognizing features of it that i didn't even realize i remembered. we walked up the steps as mrs. howell knocked on the door.

a boy that i recognized but couldn't put a name on opened the door.

"whats ya business?" he scoffed.

"are you one of the curtis brothers?" mrs. howell asked.

"nope, im two bit matthews. i can get all three of them if you would like." of course, thats why i remembered him. he was one of my brothers friends, and he was always nice to me. i guess he remembered me too because he couldn't lift his gaze off of me until he walked away. then, three boys walked up to the door as i immediately knew they were ponyboy, sodapop, and darry. their jaws dropped as they stared at me.

as i was looking at my brothers, i realized how much all three of them looked like me. i had pony's light brown hair, darry's dark green eyes, and soda's near perfect smile and big eyes. only one thing was missing from me; the height. there my brothers were at probably about 5 feet 6 inches to 6 feet tall, and then there was me at a small height of five feet. darry was a whole foot taller than i was!

"ivye?" they all asked at the same time.

"thats my name." i answered.

"well, i can sure tell that these are your brothers, ivye." mrs. howell said. "boys, ivye is now under your custody."

she shoved me forward into their arms and i fell into soda, but he caught my arm and saved both of us from falling.

"but why?" darry asked.

"ivye's caregivers passed away, and you three are her only living relatives in the state." she gave a bright smile, even though this was not a time to be smiling.

"well, i better be going." mrs. howell waved and got into her car and drove away.

"come inside, ivye." pony almost whispered. we all walked inside and i heard the door close behind me. i saw two bit in there along with all of the other gang members i forgot existed. i dug deep into my memory and remembered the names johnny, dally, and steve. all three of their eyes went wide as they said "ivye?"

i fake smiled and nervously laughed, saying "fancy meetin' you here."

hey guys! i hope you enjoyed the first chapter, and feel free to comment suggestions and your thoughts about it. thanks for reading!