one | tardiness & phone calls

"oh my fucking god, jeongguk—" jin groaned into the receiver, "—hurry the fuck up."

the poor sophomore had already heard jeongguk's (bad) excuse for being late (something about organizing his socks alphabetically), both worried for him, but also immensely irritated that he was late.

"how the hell are you going to be late for your first day of college?"

jeongguk scoffed into his white earphone mic, wired headphones plugged into his ears and into the phone that was weighing down his pocket as he hastily pulled on his shoes, gripping the bare-beige wall for balance as he tugged them over his heels.

"c'mon, hyung. you can't be that surprised. i was late for most of freshman year."

the elder just rolled his eyes from the other end, exasperated. "yes, but not on the first fucking day. i know you're an art major, but still. this is low, even for you."

the younger huffed, neither agreeing or disagreeing, attempting to hold onto his ego. "whatever, hyung."

"just hurry up, okay? y'know college could care less about if you're there or not." and then, jin's voice was gone.

"i hate when he's right," jeongguk mumbled to himself before dashing out of his dorm quickly, messy hair and all. he was very thankful that he lived on campus as his class was only a seven-minute walk, and if he really tried, less than a three-minute sprint.

it was only orientation day, but was unfortunately quite crucial as this was when they gave the syllabus that would be more than just a pain in the ass to get if he missed.

"over here, gguk!" one of jeongguk's friends, hawn, called out from the mess of students finding spots when he walked in, waving his hand around frantically to grab his attention. "what took you so long? jin was pissed when he realized you weren't here."

jeongguk gave him a knowing look, smirk creeping on his lips. "what d'you think, hwan? i was out last night and overslept. nothin' new."

"you shouldn't sound so proud of that," he muttered, jeongguk shrugging afterward with indifference, seemingly caring less

"do you know if any new kids joined the course?" jeongguk asked once they were seated, half-mindlessly tapping his pen on the table. he was already checked in with his proper email address with the teacher and waiting for more instructions.

hwan thought for a moment before answering, "actually, i think i did hear about a new kid coming. heard he's pretty talented—baritone sound, deep as shit, but one hell of an octave range."

jeongguk's interest perked up at that. "really?"

hwan nodded, grabbing his phone out of his pocket to subside his growing boredom. "mhm—he only left his other school 'cause he got kicked out of his dorms. something about being too loud or messin' it up. lost his scholarship too."

jeongguk winced at that last part, his own scholarship was one of the only reasons he could go to university in the first place. "fuck, that's tough. did he get one here?"

another nod. "yeah, his voice is apparently amazing, composing too. high chances of record deals and shit once he's done uni."

jeongguk ran his fingers through his inky black hair, very impressed and very curious now. "where is he?"

"not coming today or tomorrow i'm pretty sure. y'know how when students transfer they usually hang back for a bit before coming."

jeongguk tsked to himself brattily before slouching in his seat, shoving his hands in his hoodie's pocket.