Chapter 24: Aebbé - Threat

Depuis le début

"You are not speaking only of yourself?"

"No, there are things happening outside in Raven's Peak that can only be related to someone here on the inside trying to make a grab for power," he says with an uncharacteristic scowl.

"What do you mean?"

"You remember I told you that Adam died?"

I nod.

"I managed to contact the dimwit Dudda. I told him to call on me should he ever need help. I received a distressed message from him the day before yesterday. When I went to his house the same night, the whole street was standing outside their door gossiping. They were saying that the young boy was found drowned in the well nearby and that his mother has disappeared without a trace. They said that it finally became too much for her – taking care of him and being shunned by the king that she decided to kill him and go off with a lover."

"Perhaps she fled out of grief when her son accidentally died," I say knowing that the coincidence of two dead royal bastards in one lifetime is too great to not be sinister. I also remember Aelfraed mentioning once that Dudda's mother loved him greatly and had sacrificed much to keep him.

"Aebbé, I think someone is eliminating all the potential Ardam heirs."

My eyes widen: "That is a serious accusation."

"Do you think that I don't know that?"

I don't answer him, taking a moment to consider what Aelfraed is implying.

"Aelfraed, if that is true then you need to be careful."

"We need answers. I can't allow any threat to our family."

"Do you think you should share your suspicions with Friduric?"

"No, I don't want to approach the king without proof."

"That is wise, but perhaps Ferdaid would be able to aid you in getting that proof. I know that eliminating a threat to Vaubadon would be to utmost importance to him."

Aelfraed nods: "I'll beg an audience with uncle."

"Aelfraed, you have to be vigilant. If it is true, then you are in greater danger than them all. You are the eldest son of the eldest son – and you have a claim of legitimacy."

Aelfraed acknowledges the truth of my words by closing his eyes, and slowly taking a breath and letting it go.

He embraces me in a hug: "Aebbé, you are in as much danger as I am."

We stay like that for a moment before he excuses himself to resume his duties and I join Ria to assist with the last preparations for the hosting.

*****************

I sit quietly on my window seat, trying to focus on my book, but the incessant chatter of the ladies hinders me. I scowl, and almost ask all of them to keep quiet. I sigh: I can't do that. It is my turn to host them.

Ria planned the whole day. She organised the menu. She did everything by the book. I can't make all her careful planning and the execution thereof to nought by overstepping the fragile boundaries of etiquette. The day would have been bearable had Ema come, but she made her excuse without offering a reason.

I really just wish this day could end.

As if in answer, the door is thrown open revealing Ludel Strongwind looking shaken – as if he was put down here by a whirlwind.