chapter 2

Esme

i arrive at Otis' house. it's such a pretty house. i walk up to his front door and knock it 3 times. the door swings open and an out of breath Otis appears.

"i'm out of breath because i just ran down the stairs and your late. it's nearly 7." he says letting me in.

"i'm sorry. i was just really busy at home." i say. i feel really bad for being late.

"it's fine, don't worry. let's get to work." he says. we walk into his kitchen. i place my bag on the table and take out my pencil case and some paper. "would you like some coffee?"

"yes please." i sit down next to Otis and start writing.

half way through our homework, someone walks through the front door. "oh no." Otis sighs.

"hello Otis." a woman says coming into the kitchen. "oh and you have a friend over."

"mum, this is Esme." Otis says.

"how are you, miss Milburn?" i say turning to her.

"i'm okay. thank you. just call me Jean."

"mum, can you just leave us? we're doing homework." Otis asks getting slightly distressed. Jean leaves. why was he getting so annoyed about his mum coming home.

"what does your mum do for a career?" i ask him.

"um, uh. she's a sex therapist." he whispers so i couldn't hear him properly.

"and what's wrong with that?" i say.

"everything. if Adam Groff finds out or just anyone at school. they will kill me."

"well i know and i haven't killed you. i'm fine with it, i don't care." i shrug.

"thank god. what does your mum do?" he asks me. my mum died 6 months ago. i go really quiet and look down at my work. "i'm sorr-"

"no it's fine. she's a nurse." i say. i look at the time. 8:34pm. "i'm going to go home. thank you for having me." i stand up to pack my bag.

"not a problem. do you want me to walk you home?" he asks walking me to the front door.

"i'm fine but thank you for offering." i smile  walking away from his house.

"see you tomorrow!" he shouts. i turn around.

"you will!" i shout back.

i get home. i walk into the kitchen and see my dad with his head in his hands on the island.

"what's wrong dad?" i ask him as i pick up a mug and put some tea in it.

"don't be mad but i have to work away for 2 weeks. Morgan will come round every few days. i have to help this vet surgery in London as their best surgeon is in hospital." he says.

"when are you going to leave?" i say quietly through gritted teeth.

"tomorrow morning at 5:30 so i can get there on time as i'm driving."

"okay, have fun." i say before running upstairs.

this is the 5th time he had to leave me since mum died. i can never talk to him about how i feel as he's always working.

i lock my bedroom door and jump on my bed. Moose was lying under my desk but he walks over to my bed and jumps up.

"hey boy." i say patting his head. he licks my face making me laugh.