•T H I R T Y - T H R E E•

Start from the beginning

"Are you all right?" she said, rising from her curtsy.

The boys chuckled, and Sébastien nudged Jules. "This one smuggled some wine into my chambers last night," he smiled at her, then at Jules, "and we did not sleep much."

"A lot to catch up on," said Jules with a wink.

Though it warmed her heart to see them reconciled, she hoped they'd been discreet coming to the meeting spot.

Another horse swished through a side entrance cloaked by heavy branches. "And to explain," said Princess Cordelia, her beige cloak so long it nearly covered the entire animal's body.

Sébastien hurried to help her dismount, and hooked their arms as he brought her to Marguerite, who curtsied. "Thank you, Cordelia, for waking so early."

"I am always up early." She flashed an impatient smile and turned to Sébastien, who was still linked to her. "Where is Antoine?"

Marguerite suppressed a shiver at the realization that Antoine might not show. And though she'd prayed for it, it troubled her more than she wished it would.

"I did not see or hear from him after last night," said Sébastien with a quick wince.

"I am here," announced a gruff voice from Marguerite's left, shocking them all into silence.

She tensed as she watched Antoine arrive on his usual steed, his worn-down brown cloak flapping over a burgundy suit. His trusty black tricorn hat was atop his head, but not down far enough to conceal his brows scrunching.

He jumped off his horse and marched over, his posture stiff, his fists tight at his sides. "Should we get on with it?" He barely glanced at Marguerite as she curtsied for him. "I have much to do today."

Marguerite strained to redress herself. She took a few strides back, to ensure a full view on all four siblings lined before her.

"Right." Her breath was like a trail of thick smoke weaving before her, taking on eerie shapes that distracted her. "The reason King Romain cornered me last night was to discuss a conspiracy his mother told him about. She thinks Edouard murdered King Gregor."

Antoine spat. "What?"

Cordelia and Sébastien huddled closer. "Excuse me?"

Only Jules remained silent, but his jaw dropped.

"I know," Marguerite joined her hands in front of her mouth, "it is preposterous. His mother claims she has known forever. But she only notified him recently, which is why he is here. Not for Adelaide, not for Julia, not for me, and not to aid your mother, either. He came to investigate." She gulped. "To seek revenge."

Jules shoved his jaw into place. "Murdering a foreign monarch who insisted on a peace Father did not want... it is far-fetched, but not impossible—"

"—Jules!" Cordelia stomped her foot.

Sébastien fidgeted, shifting his weight side to side. "Our father? King Edouard? Benevolent, beloved, blissful Edouard?"

Jules shrugged. "Sure, he was all that, but he had secrets. Not unlike Mother. I for one would not be fully surprised if he organized something like that."

Marguerite's shoulders rolled back. "Edouard had secrets?"

Jules nodded, but Cordelia grumbled, ripping from Sébastien's arm. "No. No."

Antoine remained surprisingly quiet, glaring at his boots, immobile but for his heavy breaths.

Sébastien cocked his head, his expression shifting as he squinted at Marguerite with pinched lips. "Well... he is a King, and... I mean, look at Antoine; he has secrets, though we are all aware of them now. So..." He groaned. "Sure, yes, he might have kept things from us. But murder? I am unsure."