The Secret

"Hello, everyone. Let me introduce to you Rebecca Walden from the SEC." Ryan Daniels peered out over his glasses at his department staff, all seated around the conference room table, David Taylor arriving late, as usual. "I see some of you looking a little nervous, but please don't be. Unless you're guilty, of course." Ryan's upper lip twitched.

As the rest of the group shifted awkwardly in their seats, cautiously looking around at each other, David's focus remained solidly on Rebecca, watching for any tells that she knew something. His stare did not go unnoticed by Rebecca, although nothing changed in her demeanor.

"You will all be called, randomly and one at a time, into my office, to be interviewed by Ms. Walden. You can refuse if you wish, but of course I don't recommend that you do that."

One by one, each of the employees were led away. The interviews lasted around ten minutes for most. They were all asked the same set of questions; did they know what insider trading was, and that it was a serious crime. Did they know who had given out insider information. Had they, or anyone they knew, profited from the insider trading. Would they be willing to submit to a polygraph. Rebecca was trained to look for signs of deception and so spent more time with those who may have been hiding something.

As they exited the room, they were handed their belongings by Sammy, the building security guard, who then escorted them to the elevator, and instructed them to leave the building and not return until the next day. Sammy was under strict orders not to tell any of them that their offices were currently being searched, and their PCs examined.

David was called near the end. He slowly rose and made his way to Ryan's office. He was interviewed for over twenty minutes. He thought he had done a good job of appearing natural and giving nothing away, although he suspected Rebecca had asked him questions that she probably hadn't asked other employees. As Sammy escorted him out, David asked if he could return to his desk. Sammy and David had always been friendly with one another, exchanging pleasantries each day as David arrived for work, but, nevertheless, Sammy told him no, he had to leave. He felt ashamed for withholding the reason why.

The next day the office was abuzz with everyone speculating over what had happened, but after a while, life returned to normal. Except for David. The secret he was holding was eating away at him. He knew he had to tell someone. The next morning he went to the SEC.

It was a month later, as David showed up for work and Sammy was not there to greet him, that David knew this was the day that Sammy and Rebecca had being arrested. If only he had never seen their fingertips surreptitiously touching that day by the elevator, he could have avoided this whole unfortunate situation.