2) The Pulse fal'Cie

We come to an abrupt stop on the bridge upon seeing two hoverbikes coming in for a landing. The young crew that followed Trench Coat before raises their guns, only to lower them upon seeing their leader and the orange-haired man. The boy's demeanor changes almost immediately upon seeing the man who let his mother meet her early demise, his hands curling into fists and his eyes narrowing. I watch as the group gathers by their leader and laughs like nothing's happened. My stomach churns and I feel sick as the moment of hundreds of deaths flashes through my mind once more.

"That's the one," the boy mutters, staring long and hard at Trench Coat. The girl with the peach pigtails steps up, pale hands placed firmly on her hips.

"Didn't you have something to tell him?"

"Yeah," the boy nods. The girl smiles, sparing me a friendly glance before nodding firmly.

"Alright then!"

"But... I..." Panic flashes through the boy's silvery-green eyes and his hands tremble at his sides. The girl, with her eyebrows pinched sympathetically, leans forward to catch his attention.

"I'll go with you." She smiles at me. "We both will, right?" I nod, desperate to leave. Confused, the boy looks between the two of us.

"What?" There's a moment of hesitation before the girl giggles and shoves the boy so he stumbles forward.

"Go on!" He stops abruptly, overcome with fear. The girl and I exchange a worried glance. Huffing, she rests one hand on her hip and the other by her mouth, skipping ahead of the boy with a grin and giving a cheery shout of, "Hey!"

The engine on the bike roars to life and I jump, covering my ears quickly. A blast of dusty wind washes over us as the bike hovers, Trench Coat calling something down before speeding off toward the hanging Pulse Vestige in the distance. I huff, dropping my hands. We were too late. I turn to the boy, watching a flash of defeated irritation flash over his face as the girl protests, stomping a heeled boot on the ground.

"Hey! Come back!" She runs toward the second bike, pushing past the dispersing followers of Trench Coat. I shake my head, turning to face the boy and cocking my head to the side to offer a slight smile.

"Wanna go see what she's up to? Nothing good, I bet, but she could help us out."

"I guess," he mutters.

We head toward the girl. I'm overcome with curiosity as she runs her hands over the smooth white shell of the second hoverbike the orange-haired man left behind. Thoughtfully, she rests her chin between her finger and her thumb, bright green eyes narrowed as she stares at the machine. She seems to snap out of a trance upon seeing the boy.

"Hm? You okay?"

"I want to tell him, it's just that—" The boy's voice fades and he shakes his head, eyes falling to the pavement as he steadies his wavering balance by clutching her arm. A grin flashes across her face.

"Say... You know how to fly this?" she asks, pointing at the bike. The boy shrugs, his voice quiet.

"Yeah. I think so."

"Alright!" she squeals, laughing and grabbing his wrists. Enthusiastic as ever, she shoves him toward the bike. "In you go!" Quickly, she plops in behind him.

"Wait!" I huff, stumbling forward. "Were you just planning on leaving me behind?"

"Climb aboard!" she smiles, scooting closer to the boy's back to give me room behind her. It's a squeeze, but soon I find myself with a face full of bright hair and beaded jewelry. Laughing, she wraps her arms around the boy's waist.