Chapter 23: Aebbé - Riddles

Start from the beginning

"The human sends a human to find a human," the same elf addresses me. He has pale blond hair and black eyes. His eyes are cold.

My patience is limited: "I would love to stand here the whole day so you can insult me, but your training starts in ten minutes, and as of today I am training with you as well. So, tell me where Walter is."

Their eyes narrow.

"Aebbé, of Ardam, I will take you to Walter," the elf offers. "Follow me."

We leave his companions behind and walk deeper into the camp in silence.

"I cannot decide if I want to call myself your friend, or if I am to be your enemy, Aebbé daughter of Ardam."

"I do not have friends, and I do not know your name."

"I am Ludel of the family Strongwind, and you should remember my name. I have decided that I do not like you, Aebbé, daughter of Ardam."

"And I do not like you, Strongwind."

"You are honest." 

He stops, and points to a tent: "This is where Walter-No-Name resides, princess Aebbé of Ardam."

Ludel Strongwind takes my hand. "We will meet again."

"Thank you for offering me your help."

He lets go of my hand.

I walk towards the tent that Elorhim pointed out.

"I greet Walter, by the sun he serves. May it rise brightly for you." I feel stupid talking to a tent, but I cannot walk into a tent of a man that I do not know.

"I am coming! Just a moment!"

A few seconds later, a blond-haired man emerges from the tent.

"Oh. I am Walter-Not-Named. Can I help you?" He offers me his hand but retracts it and bows deeply. "My lady," he adds.

He is a human, and polite. He must be in his thirties, but he reminds me of a young boy. He has curly hair and large brown eyes. His name tells me that he is a bastard.

"Lord Caith sent me to your tent."

"Caith did?"

"He said that you might have some clothes that would fit me?"

"He did? I do not have any dresses, do I?"

I laugh: "No! Clothes for training, Walter."

Walter blushes: "I do have those. Please follow me."

He holds the tent door open for me.

I enter the tent. I gasp at the enormity that confronts me inside. "How is it possible?"

Walter smiles: "It is elf magic. All our tents are like this. Space expands inside so it is much bigger than the outside."

The tent is enormous inside. I can see rows and rows of weapons, even more armour and chests stacked to the roof (which is at least four metres above my head).

Walter disappears into the neatly organised contents of the tent. He emerges with some white fabric in his hand, and a pair of black boots in the other. 

"This should fit. Do you know how to choose a weapon? It is not necessary for you to choose one. Prince Eoghan already chose weapons. Can you find your way back to the clearing where we practice? It is not necessary. By now Prince Eoghan will know you are here. So you can just dress. Practice starts in three minutes," he says with a smile.

I smile back, but he is already hurrying out of the tent. I would like to become friends with Walter.

I dress and exit the tent. The elf that did not stand up when I entered the hall on the night that the Second Order arrived, stands outside.