30 | alone again, naturally

Start from the beginning

Megan's face had hardened. "I get that you're upset right now, but this wasn't my fault. You chose to tell me what you told me, that's down to you. My life isn't perfect, but unlike you I don't feel the need to tell everyone about my tragedies. Get a fucking grip, Evie. The world doesn't revolve around you."

I was speechless for a few moments, shocked by Megan's tone. I'd never heard her speak like that to anyone before, especially not me. "You think that I enjoy this? That I like having everything important to me crumble to pieces before my very eyes?"

She sighed. "You're not the only one with problems, Evie. Just remember that. I'm sorry that I dared to offer you my friendship. I guess I'm just too busy trying to be everyone's best friend." Megan spun around and headed for the door, and suddenly I realised what an ass I was being.

"Wait, Megan," I called, and she stopped. "I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean what I said."

She turned back around towards me, her eyes fixed on the floor. "It's fine."

With a sigh, I pulled out a chair and collapsed into it, massaging my temple with closed eyes. "I think I've actually ruined things this time. Like, forever."

Megan stayed still and silent for a moment before taking a seat diagonally opposite me. "What happened?" She asked quietly, and I ran her through the events, trying to refrain from sobbing. "God," she breathed. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I shook my head. "I was wrong. I did choose to tell you, and I don't regret it either, because I trust you. I just wish Alex could have seen it my way."

"She'll come back, she's got to."

I shook my head once more. "No, I don't think so. You heard Mrs. Finchley, she's left for good."

"Even so," Megan pushed. "There's so way she'd just up sticks and leave you forever. You'll see her, it might not be at school, but you'll see her, and things will all be okay. I promise."

I tried to give her a thankful smile, though I wasn't sure how convincing it had been. "Listen, I'm gonna go. I don't have a class until ten so I should probably do some studying." I stood from my chair and Megan did the same, opening her arms out and embracing me tightly. "Thanks," I said quietly in her ear, and I felt her nod into my shoulder.

I made my way to the library, slumping into a seat in the corner by the dusty window that overlooked the field. The sun was shining brightly, the dewy blades of grass glistening beneath it in the early morning. I found myself wondering how the world could keep spinning, how the sun could keep shining so brightly as though all was good. My world appeared to have stopped, whilst everyone else's carried on in a content bubble. How comes everyone else was allowed simplicity?

Taking my books out my bag, I read and re-read pages, trying hard to seal some information into my brain. It was a useless attempt, and I wasted twenty minutes before giving up, packing my things away and heading back out of the library.

I made my way outside towards the playing field, a mixture of warmth from the sun and coldness from the fresh morning air grazing my skin. Without thinking, I made my way over to the back of the field, through the trees and towards the fish pond. I placed my bag down beside me on the bench, pulling my phone from inside it. No missed calls, no texts, nothing.

The signal was poor, but I tried my luck anyway, and clicked onto my contacts. Her name was the first in my list, and I hovered over it uncertainly for a split second before calling.

The phone went straight to voicemail, and my shoulders tensed as I heard her voice down the line. "Hey, It's Alex, I can't answer the phone right now so leave a message."