chapter 4 // a warm welcome

Start from the beginning

"That is because Miku knows us. She recognizes what is best for us and provides us with the care we need to survive in this apocalyptic, barren dust-planet. Besides," Luka leaned into Flower slightly, "there are severe consequences for defying her. And nobody wants that, right?"

Is that a threat?

Gathering a deep breath, Luka stood back up straight and continued. "Rule number two. Follow the orders of Miku's High Command and the Order-Keepers." She paused. "So, essentially, follow the orders of any rank higher than yours."

Flower nodded. She supposed this one went hand-in-hand with the rule that gave Miku the highest word in the land. Both seemed to promote injustice and bias, which Flower already felt uneasy about. She bit her tongue, nervous for the next rule.

"Rule number three; all survivors of the Anarchy are to be reported to Miku as soon as they are encountered, so that they may be cared for and welcomed into our home!" She smiled down at Flower, who was surprised at the sudden change in tone. Nonetheless, Flower couldn't help but smile back at the member of the High Order. That was absolutely the best rule she had heard thus far, though she was doubtful for another beneficial one like that.

Luka nodded, seeing Flower's satisfaction. However, her smile slowly dissipated as she recited the subsequent law. "Rule number four. Plotting against High Ranks, or any other form of treason, is a major crime and is punishable by death."

Flower bowed her head. She knew this one was coming from the moment she had heard the word "rules." Of course no treason would be permitted. That was the case in any form of government, and this one was no exception. At least it made sense, right?

"Rule number five," Luka recited, her face nonchalant, "romantic relationships within the boundaries of The Sanctuary are strictly forbidden."

Instantly Flower's mind erupted with questions. What?? Why on Earth would romantic relationships be forbidden? That's got to be the most useless and stupid rule out there, she thought. Suddenly, her mind paused. Wait. Haven't I heard this before?

Flower shook her head. Looking up at Luka, she spoke her mind. "If you don't mind me asking," Flower said, "why are romantic relationships forbidden?"

Luka blinked contentedly. "I knew you'd ask that. You see, here at The Sanctuary, our survival is our priority, since we are possibly some of the last people alive on Earth. Romantic relationships, as Lord Miku has stated, get in the way of our work towards surviving and establishing a sustainable society. And, as rule number one states, we must not question the word of High Ruler Miku."

Flower nodded, though Luka's response hardly answered her questions. If there are no romantic relationships, she thought, there won't be a future society!

Luka could likely identify the discontent on Flower's face, and she hastily continued onto the next rule. "Rule number six dictates that there must not be any inter-rank friendships, more specifically between Subjects and High Ranks."

Before Flower could even muster a word, she continued. "According to Miku, this rule is in place to prevent plotting against the High Authority between ranks and to prevent bias in a case of determining a Subject's innocence. And-"

"And Miku's word is the highest in the land and shouldn't be questioned," Flower finished. Luka smiled down at her.

"You learn fast," she commented. Flower nodded at the praise.

"Rule number seven tells us to stay in our assigned areas at all times, and rule number eight tells us to be grateful to the High Authority for everything they provide for us."

Flower let the rules run through her mind. The one concerning no inter-rank friendships bothered her. It seemed fairly ignorant, despite the fact that it was enforced with good reason. Rule seven made sense, and rule eight seemed like a brainwashing technique.

Perfect, Flower thought sarcastically.

She smiled up at Luka. "Well, I'm certainly grateful for the High Authority."

Luka beamed. "Good! Good. Now, it's getting later into the day and our tour is not even finished yet. We had better get a move on!"

Flower looked over to the horizon. Sure enough, where the sun was once shining blindingly earlier was now dimmed with the setting of the sky's light.

Flower looked over to where Luka had been standing only to find the High Rank had already made her way back over to The Sanctuary. Rushing to follow her, Flower swiftly climbed the steps to get back into the building, crossing back into the cool interior of the institution.

Luka paused once inside, glancing around as though checking her surroundings in case she missed a feature of the first floor. After a few seconds of looking, she nodded contentedly before making her way back to the staircase.

As Flower trailed behind the woman, several thoughts flew through her mind. How long am I going to stay here? Am I going to live here? If so, how on Earth am I going to deal with these rigid rules? Flower paused. Miku said I'd be assigned a post. When's that going to be revealed to me? Who are the other Subjects? Will I recognize anybody?

With that thought, Flower's heart skipped a beat. The mere idea of seeing one of her close friends again caused her to smile. It was possible, too! Oh, if she could only just see them again...

Flower's thoughts were cut off when she noticed the duo was climbing higher than the third floor, eventually ascending to the fourth. Luka paused outside the entrance to the fourth floor, turning back to the newly-promoted Subject.

"This is the fourth floor. Here is where you and the rest of the Subjects will sleep and get prepared in the mornings."

Flower delivered Luka a small nod before the taller woman continued. "Your post will be in Quadrant 3, which is overseen by Order-Keeper Avanna. When tomorrow comes, you can simply follow her and she will direct you to your station."

Order-Keeper Avanna. Got it. Flower thought.

"And now, of course, your room."

She looked up to see Luka already striding into the hallway. Promptly following after the woman, Flower could see her scanning the numbers beside the doors. The duo eventually stopped at a door marked with the number 411.

"Here we are! Feel free to make yourself at home. In the meantime..."

Luka glanced out of a window behind them. The sun had set, leaving a slight red tint in the sky.

"... I do believe our tour is over. Your first day on shift will be tomorrow. Be prepared!"

Flower smiled at Luka. "Thank you, ma'am!" she expressed.

Luka returned the smile, giving Flower a curt nod before heading back down the hall.

With a sigh, Flower returned her attention back towards the room which she had been assigned. Carefully, she hovered her hand over the doorknob. It was hardly rusted and looked mostly safe to touch. Taking a deep breath, she rested her hand on the handle and turned it, opening the door.

Flower blinked. She looked around the room cautiously. It seemed to have most necessary amenities, like a bed and dresser, as well as a small room attached which Flower assumed to be a closet.

Stepping inside the room, she closed the door behind her. Flower carefully approached the bed, feeling its sheets. They felt clean. She allowed a faint, satisfied smile.

Everything was looking hopeful. For the first time since the Anarchy, a good thought for Earth's future found its way into Flower's mind. If this was really how these survivors lived, then civilization could be rebuilt. Everything could be fine.

Right?