chapter 4 // a warm welcome

For Flower, the next few minutes had gone by quicker than she had expected. She received cheers from Miku's High Order and was embraced into The Sanctuary's ranks by other HRs. Flower had given them all kind smiles, thanking them for their generosity in taking her in. She had not been lying when she said she was appreciative, either— this was exponentially better than wandering around aimlessly in a toxic wasteland, scavenging for food.

However, a part of these High Ranks' personalities and behavior seemed off. Flower wasn't sure why, but a few of them seemed to act almost robotic around her. They spoke in cheerful, yet empty tones that set Flower off by a decent amount.

You shouldn't entrust them, Flower reminded herself. She prompted herself this more than once. In fact, she had to keep the thought in mind considerably more than she would've preferred. But the High Ranks are so generous... a part of her spoke up. And keep in mind... the one who you're taking advice from was in jail.

Forcing these thoughts to the back of her mind, Flower tried to focus on what was going on right now. Miku was talking to a few of her High Order, glancing up at the white-haired girl every once in a while. There were a couple of other High Ranks surrounding her. Flower could tell that a few of them wanted to make conversation, but she wasn't in the mood to converse right now. She needed to figure out what Miku wanted done with her.

Suddenly, most of Miku's High Order dispersed from their positions surrounding her, instead taking place in a line behind the leader. The only member of Miku's High Order that still stood beside Miku was a woman with long, flowing pink hair. Miku murmured a few things to her before the pair turned back to look at Flower.

Miku flashed a beaming smile. "Flower, to get you acquainted with the layout of The Sanctuary, Luka of the High Order will take you on a tour of sorts of our home and its boundaries."

Flower blinked. A tour? That sounded pleasant to her. After all, if she was going to attempt to live here, she would need to know her way around.

The newly-made Subject smiled, bowing for Miku. "Thank you, High Ruler Miku."

Miku's smile only widened. "Of course, my loyal subject! Now, Luka, show this Subject around our grounds. Be sure to inform her of our laws and customs, as well as her station."

The woman beside Miku nodded briskly to her leader before swiftly making her way over to Flower. Once she did reach Flower, the High Order member turned back around to Miku. She smiled. "I'll take good care of her!" Luka promised, offering a slight nod to the High Ruler before leading Flower outside of the throne room.

The first thing that Flower noticed was that Luka walked quickly. As the High Rank sped ahead, Flower almost had to run to catch up. It wasn't until the pair were partially down the hall when Luka noticed that she was lagging behind, and slowed down so that the amethyst-eyed girl could catch up.

When she did, Luka turned around to face Flower. "We are currently on the third floor of The Sanctuary," she explained. "On this floor is the throne room, as well as the High Ranks' sleeping quarters." Her ocean-blue gaze flicked down to Flower. "You should scarcely need coming up here, though. I believe you will be an obedient subject."

Oddly threatening.

Flower nodded, and the duo continued on with the tour. She noticed the third floor was unusually tidy. The rugs that lined the floor were mostly swept, though bits and pieces of dust and stone were inevitably scattered in select areas. The pair eventually stopped at a flight of stairs, before Luka nodded briskly, walking down the left flight of stairs. Flower followed her to the next floor, which looked to be significantly less tidy then the last.