Gangsta's Paradise

Start from the beginning

“Vin…”

“What’s nine times ten?”

“Ninety.”

“What’s twelve times thirteen?”

“One hundred fifty six.”

“What’s one hundred and fifty six times seven?”

“One thousand ninety two.”

“Why did the chicken cross the road?”

“Vince!”

“Finished!”

I looked down and he was just drawing the needle out of my skin. “Really?”

“Piece of cake.” He smiled up at me. “You know what else is a piece of cake?”

“Not fighting Mom?”

He nodded and put the syringe down on the table. “You should know better by now. It’s time for dinner.” He got up and left the room, leaving me sitting on the couch alone.

“Ari.” I looked over and Ford was sitting on the other end of the couch, shirtless. “You should go eat.”

I frowned at him. “What?”

“Go eat. You know this shit won’t work if you don’t eat.”

He had another syringe in his hand, making it spin around his pointer and middle finger.

“I don’t…”

“Go fucking get something to eat so I can get what I want!”

I got up off the couch and backed to the doorway my brother had just left through. I was still the same age and Ford…the way he was looking at me I might as well be older.

“You shouldn’t be here. Mommy…”

“Your mother doesn’t give two fucking cents about you. Why do you think she lets your brother take care of you?” My back hit the wall and I turned around to figure out why the hell I hadn’t exited the room. But there was no door, just the solid wall of our little apartment. The wall I’d painted. “Well, looks like you lost your chance.”

I turned back around and I was suddenly seventeen again. I gulped at the lump formed in my throat and tried to turn the doorknob.

“Let me go.”

“It’s not as bad as you think. At least I’m asking…” His fingers brushed up my arm and to the first button on my shirt. “I could just take it like last time. No one down here can hear you scream…”

My eyes popped open and my breath came out in gasps. What the fuck kind of dream was that? I covered my face for a second with my hand and then looked at the clock. It was around midnight. Shit! I was only supposed to be asleep for two hours not ten! I knew I set my alarm…

Someone rolled over next to me and an arm snaked around my waist. Fear instantly made my whole body go still. I knew I’d sent Javier on his way and locked my door like usual. It was something I checked several times after I’d taken my bath earlier. Maybe this was just another dream…

Seconds, minutes ticked by before I gathered up enough courage to reach over and turn the light on to a low setting. It was one of those touch lamps that you tap once for a slight glow and twice for the full on affect. Swallowing the last bit of fear, I looked down at the hand that was resting against my stomach.