Chapter 5 Penelope's Plan

Start from the beginning

Penelope raised a skeptical eyebrow. "You said a potential Mate. Are you saying a werewolf could have more than one suitable Mate?"

"It's complicated. The short answer is yes. There's more than one person that you're genetically compatible with." Ivy didn't want Penelope to get the wrong idea, so she pressed on. "Wolves and werewolves are both monogamous creatures. We Mate for life once we've found the right person, but our species wouldn't have survived very long if there was only one person in the entire world that we could be happy with."

The witch shook her head, sadness adorned her face as if it were a second skin. "Thank you for being honest. I'm not sure if knowing that makes it better or worse, but at least I have some degree of closure now. That's better than not knowing and we do have a kid to save." Penelope handed Ivy a sheet of paper. "Have look at that and tell me what you think."

Ivy nodded, scanning the outline with all the determination of a pup on their first hunt. Penelope was a genius.

"I think it's perfect and our best shot of rescuing Jack." Ivy rose to her feet with delight, throwing the paper into the fireplace. "Better not to leave any evidence. I'll let the others know we're ready to move out."

The flames devoured the paper with effortless ease. Ivy could only hope that the rest of their mission would proceed half as smoothly.

 Ivy could only hope that the rest of their mission would proceed half as smoothly

Eerie. Except for the occasional shuffling sound of some animals moving, the zoo now as quiet as death. Save for the agitated band of supernatural misfits who were plotting a rescue mission, of course.

"As much as it pains me to say this, that's actually a good plan." Jared clenched his fists, frustration evident on his face. "Figures the witch would know how to be sneaky."

Ivy's lips curled back in a subtle snarl. "You realize three of the four women here are witches? Never mind. That was rhetorical question. Let's get started." Ivy held out her hands for her grandmother and Penelope to join in the circle.

Alone the chances of any of them taking out the power for the entire zoo were minimal to moderate at best. Together was another matter. There was power in the strength of the pack or in a coven.

"You know what I meant." Jared growled, even his human teeth looked menacing.

Ivy ignored him. At the moment Jared's greatest assets were his black fur coat and brute strength. The former would be perfect for camouflage at night and the latter might get them out of a tough spot if things went south.

"For the love of the Moon, shut your trap and shift, boy." Willow huffed, before casting a wary glance at Kendra. "That goes for you and Ivy, too. I will stay in my human form as a distraction. No one will ever suspect an old lady. Penelope can cast more magic if need be. We're counting on the three of you to get Jack out of there quickly. So stop bickering like a bunch of overgrown teenagers and wolf up."

It was amazing. Jared was two or three times the size of Willow Winters, but he had been cowed by her scolding. So much so that the mountain of ebony muscle morphed into a black wolf almost instantly with Kendra following suit.

"Oh for Moon's sake woman, act your age." Kendra scoffed, beginning her transformation. "Stop baiting my Mate."

Ivy never got tired of watching transformations, especially Kendra's. She might not like the other werewolf, but there was something mesmerizing about watching those strawberry blonde curls transform into silver fur. Scars and all.

Willow rolled her eyes. "Ivy, remind me again why we brought this one along?"

Penelope chuckled, watching the entire spectacle unfold with undisguised mirth. "I think I like you, Willow."

"All of you, knock it off. We need to take out the power if we want to get out of here without being spotted." Ivy took a deep breath and summoned her magic.

Shifting had always come easier to her, but there was something enthralling about feeling the green energy blossom into life. Even more so when Willow's yellow and Penelope's blue magic appeared alongside it.

All of it flourishing, growing, and spiraling onto the nearest electrical poles. It was beautiful to witness the wonders of the supernatural world, but also terrifying. One wrong move could do some serious damage when you were tempering with forces as temperamental as electricity.

 Chapter 5 Wattpad Word Count Excluding Notes 1550

Total Novella Wattpad Word Count Excluding Notes 9070.

Second milestone, 8000 words, met somewhere during the first scene.