"Sebastian, what the fuck is your brother doing in Mystic Falls?!" I scream into the phone.

"My brother?" Sebastian sounds confused, as if I had woken him up, which I probably did since it was well past midnight.

"I saw him," I snarl. "Can you please explain what he was doing here?"

"Which one are you talking about? I do have seven brothers you know." I hear him yawn.

"Stop yawning, this is a serious matter!" I snap. "Matthias is in town. Why would he be here?"

"Matthias?"

"Yes, Matthias." I am exasperated now. "Matthias as in your younger brother, like come on Seb, who else would I be talking about?"

"Last time I checked, which was about a year ago, Matthias was partying it up in Rome."

"Well go check again! I saw him here in Mystic Falls!" I snap.

"But why would he be here?!"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out! He's your brother after all."

"If he's here, it's not a good sign. Matthias is a killer and he has no problem leaving bodies lying around."

"Well I'm letting you know, I saw him and I think he attacked Elena. Please keep an eye out for him."

I hang up on Sebastian and take a minute to collect my thoughts. Sebastian's family was dangerous; they were all cunning and vindictive and they always had a motive for their actions. They were also turned into vampires because of my family and me. The Verone Family were our closest friends back in the day but now, we hardly saw each other. There is too much bad blood among our two families. The fact one of my brothers killed their parents didn't help with our relationship. And now Matthias Verone was spotted in Mystic Falls, which was not good news at all. Matthias was one of Sebastian's younger brothers and excuse my language, but he was always a pathetic, lying, little bitch. When he was turned, all those qualities were enhanced, unfortunately. I was more than worried about Matthias and what he wanted with Elena.

***

I spend the rest of the night out, tracking the vampire that attacked Elena but I had no such luck. Matthias was a very old vampire and he was experienced enough not to be followed. In the morning, I stumble back into the boarding house to meet a very frantic Stefan.

"Have you seen Elena? Were you with her all night? She just disappeared!"

I hold up my hand. "Stefan, shut up, you're rambling."

"Sorry." He pauses for a second. "But have you seen her?"

"Yeah, Damon and I found her car wrecked. Didn't he bring her home or back here?"

Stefan does not answer me.

"He didn't bring her back?!"

He shakes his head slowly.

"Then what are you waiting for?" I scold him. "Call Elena's cell phone." I sit back and watch as Stefan quickly dials Elena's number.

"Where is she?" he says immediately. "Why do you have her phone, is she okay?"

"Stefan, where are your manners?" I mutter. He shoots me a glare.

"Where are you? Let me speak to her."

I walk over and smack Stefan over his head. "Manners!" I hiss. "He'll never tell you where he is."

"Damon, I swear to god, if you touch her-"