Chapter Five: The Pianist, That Night.

Soundtrack: Someone To Stay ~ Vancouver Sleep Clinic.

|5|

I could hear the tenderly taken little footsteps around the room, with my eyes still closed and my hands on my heart with steady beats. The squeezing pain I felt, letting me know I'm still alive and breathing fine. I woke up, but nothing changed. Is it wrong when I want this same pain to squeeze me to death, almost?

I hate this feeling, and mostly I hate my head for thinking all these when I promised to wait for him and I will be hanging on the last words he said to me.

I felt the wet, silent tears slip through the corners of my eyes, as I clutch my chest over the dress. My lips quivered and I bit my lower lip to stop the sobs from escaping. This crushed heart just don't hurt anymore, it's slowly killing me.

"No, she doesn't have a weak heart again. Just check on her eating habits, and make sure she has enough rest", I hear Chris, Declan's cousin talking in a whispery tone. "Listen Damon, I know it's a hard period of time for all of us and we can't really blame her. You have to understand she has been in love with our brother for years and its normal if she still can't accept the truth. Don't stress yourself into this mess, and continue on with your life. You have a beautiful fiancée to cherish."

"And ironically a wife", the cold, void of any emotion Damon's voice said scoffing like he hated that term. "I sacrificed every damn thing for him, but he still left."

"You talk about her being stubborn, when you yourself cannot accept the truth. What do you blame yourself for?"

The silence filled the room.

"I know what is eating you up, Damon. You always sacrificed for him and now you think, he sacrificed his life for you in return. Isn't this all what you wished for, all you ever wanted?", Chris asked.

What are they talking about?

"He didn't have to pay me back in this way", Damon replied. "He didn't have a pay me at all because even if I have it, I cannot touch without feeling guilty, something that belongs to only him."

I couldn't take it anymore although I wished to hear more of their conversation, my dry throat was painful to even form a word. "I.. I n-need.. wate", I tried to say but it sounded gibberish to my own ears. Damon quickly sprinted towards the glass of water on the table next to the bed and help me sit up, placing the pillows behind my back.

"Does it still hurt?", he asked bringing the glass near my lips. I shook my head no. Yes, it still does. I drank the whole content, I must be really thirsty.

"I should leave", Chris announced, smiling with amusement. "Ariell, please take care. Call me if there's anything else I could do." With a small wave he left the room, and left us alone, together.

"You must be hungry. What do you want to eat?", he shifted on his feet, one hand shoved in his pocket while the other pinching the bridge of his nose. I noticed he was in the same three piece suit I remember before I black out.

"For how long have I been unconscious?", I asked ignoring his previous question.

"For almost twelve hours, I think."

What?! For that long? Before I could lie about my hunger, my stomach growled mortifying me infront of the cold blooded Damon. I coughed to hide my embarrassment as I look away from him.