We stood in silence for a few moments.

"I kissed Jasper," I said finally, the words tumbling out of my mouth.

Her system seemed to reboot. "What?"

"This morning," I said, suddenly feeling warm under her scrutinising gaze. "It was an accident. I promise I wasn't trying to steal your thunder."

"How can you accidentally kiss someone?"

"Very easily, actually," I said, tilting my head.

"Are you two...?"

"No," I said quickly, before pausing. "Maybe? No. No, we're not."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "You sure have great timing."

"I know, I'm sorry, I know it's your wedding day-

"Not that, stupid," she said. "You kiss him when I'm about to go away for a month and can't force you to talk to me about it. Selfish, really."

My lips curved into a grin. "My sincerest apologies."

She shook her head at me and slowly moved across the living room toward the front door.

"You really have no idea where he's taking you?" I asked, falling into step beside her.

"Nope."

"None whatsoever?"

"No."

"Not even a little hint?"

She shot me a look.

"I would combust," I mumbled.

"You're a control freak," she said simply.

"Hey, we haven't known each other long enough for you to have figured that out about me, yet."

"I'm perceptive, remember?"

I scowled at her.

Edward was stood by the door, dressed more casually in a blue linen shirt and beige pants, waiting. He smiled at Bella, the picture of euphoria, and I pulled her into a hug.

"Have an amazing time," I said softly.

"I'll call you."

"Don't be dumb, enjoy your honeymoon. Tell me about it when you get back."

She smiled at me as we pulled away. "See you soon."

~~~

I collapsed onto the sofa, borderline catatonic. "I hope whoever invented high heels is burning in hell."

The Cullens chuckled from their various positions about the room, removing decorations or clearing plates and champagne flutes. I could barely keep my eyes open long enough to stare at them in befuddlement—it was nearly four in the morning, and they were cleaning. Voluntarily.

"How are you all, like, functioning right now?" I asked, bordering on a whine.

"Go to sleep, Ginge," Emmett called over his shoulder on the way to the kitchen.

"You're making me feel hugely unproductive in comparison," I yawned. "I'd like to file a complaint."

"Did she even drink?" Alice murmured in Carlisle's ear.

"No, I did not," I said, holding up a finger. "Although, I wish I had. Then I would have an excuse."

"Your excuse is that you're not immortal, idiot," Jasper sighed, unpinning a garland of flowers.

I scowled. "Don't be mean."

Esme walked over me, smile a mixture of concerned and amused. "Do you want to go up to bed, honey?"

I looked at her and smiled. "Esme, you're so sweet. Carlisle, your wife is so sweet."

Carlisle let out a light chuckle. "I know, Imogen."

"Aw," I cooed, scrunching up my nose and looking between them. "You guys are disgusting, it's great."

All of the guests had finally left. Bella and Edward had left close to midnight, but the party continued into the early hours. Emmett had gotten even more adventurous with his dance moves and Alice had joined in with some incredibly impressive acrobatics, the human attendees marvelling in intoxicated wonder. Jasper and I had danced, I'd eaten a little and spoken to Bella's school friends—they seemed nice, if a little wary of the Cullens. I'd talked to the Denalis a little more when they had approached Alice and I, and I'd laughed alongside Rosalie at Carlisle attempting to dance anything other than a waltz.

My mood was warm and light, but drowsiness had claimed me around half an hour before people started to leave. I'd ended the night leaning on Jasper's shoulder in a half-delirious state of exhaustion.

He moved across the room toward me, having climbed down from the ladder he was using to take down the strung flowers, and knelt down in front of me to unbuckle my shoes. I was too tired to shiver when his fingers brushed the bare skin of my ankles, but I almost sang in relief when my feet were released from the confines of the lavender heels.

"Thank you," I said softly, trying my best to smile at him.

"You're welcome," he said.

"Careful, Jazz," Emmett said as he re-entered the room. "Seeing a lady's ankle in your time would have meant ruin for you both."

"An absolute scandal," Rosalie added, smirking in our direction.

"I didn't know ankles were considered sexy," I mused. "They don't really spring to mind."

They all laughed at me again and I began to snooze.

I jolted awake when my phone buzzed violently against the upholstery of the couch. Groaning, I reached out to bat the phone onto the floor, but it was Aunt Meg's name on the screen. She'd been working during the day, so missed the ceremony, but had come to the party for an hour or two early in the night. I frowned, wondering why she was still awake, until I realised that her shift started in half an hour. I stumbled to my feet and headed toward the glass doors, stepping out onto the deck.

The darkness was so dense that it felt like I was wading through it. The wooden planks creaked under my bare feet as I crossed down onto the lawn, hoping that the gentle gurgle of the river might distract the unintentionally attuned ears of the family inside the house. I lifted the phone, thumb hovering over the green button, when a rustle to my left caught my attention.

There was nothing there. The treeline was undisturbed, as was the water. The lights in the house were still on, and I could still see Alice and Emmett sweeping up half-empty food platters. I frowned.

The phone kept buzzing, but I couldn't really hear it anymore. I was waiting for another rustle or the snap of a twig but found a voice instead.

"Imogen?"

I careened round with a start before my arms—initially raised in alarm—fell to my sides. "Elliot?"