Chapter One

JEALOUSY WAS AN unnecessary and an undeserved feeling.

I knew that, but I couldn't help it. Not when a sultry woman was practically pawing at the man of my dreams right in front of me, adding onto the fact that this man was trying his best to resist touching her while he indulged in her deliberate proximity.

I scoffed at him. Seth Kingsley, the supposed object of my affection, was utterly enthralled by the new girl in our company. I bet he didn't even know her name; he must've recruited her just because she looked undeniably hot. He'd always hire his staff — specifically women — based on looks. I was the only exception among all who'd been selected by him, but I knew the reason why: he'd pitied me and took me in on the account of my brother. There was no other reason to hire me.

"Mr. Kingsley," the newcomer purred as she leaned in towards him while placing a blue file on his table. Her full bosoms were protruding out of her tight low-cut black jumpsuit.

I couldn't fathom why and how she could unapologetically act this way in front of an audience. My friend, Oana, and I were standing before the two of them but the new girl acted as if we didn't exist. Instead, it seemed like the blonde-haired girl wanted to exert her dominance over us although she was evidently younger and more inexperienced than us. "Here's the doc you wanted from me," her voice sounded repulsively sensual.

I glanced towards Oana and rolled my eyes. She knowingly smiled but chose to say nothing. After all, Seth was our employer and we couldn't do anything beyond his instructions.

But I wasn't afraid of him like Oana was. Seth and I simply weren't the boss-and-worker duo. We were friends.

As I took in the scene before me, in which Seth returned the seductive woman a suggestive wink, I decided to turn the tide.

"Seth," I slurred in a low voice, smirking at him while deliberately mentioning his name, so as to flaunt our ambiguous relationship. The blonde woman instantly shifted her attention to me, her piercing eyes narrowing at me. "You said you wanted Oana and me to do something for you?" I made it sound more lewd than it should. It sounded as if we were going to have a threesome in his office. As expected, the somewhat annoying woman gaped.

Oana understood the double meaning and stifled a laugh. She nodded, playing along with me while smiling dubiously at our boss. Seth, on the other hand, was too distracted by the woman's boobs to notice what I had meant. He blinked his eyes to recover from his dazed state.

"Right." He cleared his throat as he flicked his right hand towards the blonde, "you can leave now, Miss..." his voice trailed off and my lips tugged. My hypothesis was verified— he didn't remember the woman's name.

The newcomer was clearly offended. She mumbled her name before stomping off, giving me a judgmental once-over before closing the door behind her.

I triumphantly turned to face Seth, but noticed how he was studying the woman's ass as she left the room, and suddenly I felt bitter again.

"You're such a Seth," I mocked, rolling my eyes at him. It was definitely meant to shoot him down, and I didn't care that I sounded like an immature kid being resentful towards him and the newcomer for no good reason.

"I know, right," Seth licked his plump lips and that move of his instantly stimulated something in me, although I knew it wasn't for me, but for someone else.

Oana looked at me with pity in her blue eyes. She'd found out about my affection towards our boss a while ago. Though, I was pretty sure my feelings for Seth were so transparent, I wouldn't be surprised if he knew about them. But the way he'd act towards me on a daily basis made me retract my accusation: his regular blank expression told me he didn't think much about me. Which was both good and bad at the same time, I didn't know if I should rejoice or be worried.