I'll Catch You (Newtina)

Start from the beginning

Then the ceiling fell.

A huge chunk from above sunk down like a ship's anchor, smashing through the walkway. It shattered, sending bits of concrete flying everywhere. Each piece was like a shard that had the intention of cutting through anything that was in its way. The thump made once the chunk reached the bottom caused an explosion of dust, making it hard for Tina to see. Her eyes darted around as she tried to spot him, or his shadow. She couldn't lose him now, not after Queenie, not after everything they've been through, not after she's realised she's fallen for him.

"Newt!"

It was deathly silent. The dust was clearing up, but she couldn't wait for it to.

"Newt! Where are you?"

The desperation in her voice kept him awake. He was lying on the ground, eyes shut tight. A sharp pain erupted from the shin of his leg, causing him to wince. Fumbling around for his wand which he eventually found, he cast a spell to clear up his vision, and lift whatever was on his leg. Bright red liquid started oozing out from the gash when he sat up. As if on instinct, he called out, "Tina!"

Tina's wand produced a gush of wind that allowed her to spot the wizard. He was alive, and they were so close, if not for the very obvious gap that resulted from the ceiling collapsing.

"Newt! Are you okay?"

He didn't want to worry her, so he replied with a 'yes'. Without thinking, he stood up, only to cry out as the pain became unbearable. He put his hand out to steady himself as he fell once more.

"Mercy Lewis! What happened?"

Newt tried to look up, averting Tina's gaze so she wouldn't see his pain. In his normal voice, he said, "One of the debris had terrible aiming."

He smiled, but Tina was not amused.

"Can you walk?"

As he quickly wiped the tears in his eyes away, he tried to stand. It proved to be difficult with the pain, and he returned to his fallen position. The water in his eyes had not subsided.

If she had been given more time, Tina would have thought of another way. But the black speck behind Newt was becoming bigger, and that meant only one thing: they had to get out of here now. And there was only one way.

"Newt," Tina said in the calmest voice she could muster, "It's coming."

The wizard turned back to find out that Tina was right. The black mass was heading his way, and he was a sitting, injured duck. Many different solutions to the problem came to mind, yet none of them was going to work. His breathing started to quicken and the tears in his eyes threatened to spill.

"Don't panic."

"What do you suggest I do instead?" Newt snapped back before apologising. He did say that if worse comes to worse, his sacrifice will buy her time.

Gulping, Tina stretched out her hand. She looked him into the eye and held his eye contact, something only she seemed to be able to do. With a shaky breath, she said, "Jump."

Newt examined the gap between them as fast as he could, then the state of his leg. That gap was as wide as an Erumpent. He was never going to make it.

"Are you insane?"

His voice broke and he was terrified, so terrified, that Tina could see him shaking.

"It's the only way. We can apparate once we cross that door. Newt, you have to jump."

He watched as she inched towards the edge of the broken bridge, then back at the mass which was getting closer by the second. The room suddenly felt terribly cold and his cheek was already wet.

"Newt, listen to me," Tina reassured, holding out her other arm, "I'll catch you."

Slowly, he got back onto his feet, and the cry from the pain made Tina's heart break. She heard a sob, and she wished she could be there to hug him and tell him he'll be okay.

Instead, she said insistently, "Newt, I'll catch you. I've got you, Newt..."

He tried again, this time focusing on her, just her. He focused on how he would tuck her hair back so it looked better in its messy state now. He focused on her narrow feet, and how steady they would be when she caught him. He focused on her eyes, they truly were fire in dark water. Fire, the passion burning within her, and the dark, what surrounded them at the moment. The sound of the mass behind him toned out and all he could hear was her. She was the only source of light in this dark room.

He found himself on his feet, the pain still existing but she was helping him ignore it. He gritted his teeth and breathed heavily through his mouth, waiting for her cue. She trusted him the last time, now it was his turn.

"Now!"

With the remaining strength he had, he pushed himself off the ledge with both his legs. Tina's hands remained stretched out as she watched Newt soar through the air. The gash on his leg was dripping with blood and she made it a point to apparate to medical help as soon as they got out.

The moment that thought ended, Tina caught Newt in her arms and he caught her too.

His arms were wrapped tightly around her just as hers were around his. She could feel his weight on her as his leg could no longer bear the pain from the injury. Burying his head into her shoulder, he started to sob. Tina rubbed his back to soothe him, but she couldn't resist holding back her own tears. Newt was safe in her arms.

Newt felt a wave of relief wash over him as he felt Tina's embrace. So relieved that he started to cry to relieve the pain and the emotions he had been holding onto for so long. Tina was safe in his arms.

The noise started to return and the pair realised how close the black mass was. It was almost at the ledge where Newt once stood. She  cast a spell to slow it down, then pointed her wand at his leg.

"Ferula."

The gash was bandaged to prevent further blood spillage. She looked into his eyes and he looked back into hers. Tina knew he described hers just like those of a salamander, but if she were to describe his, it would be hard to liken it to a creature. They were green with a splash of brown and when mixed, it became the most wondrous colour she's seen in her life. They were like the forest, reminding her so much of nature that she realised it suited him well. He was so connected to his creatures after all.

Her expression softened as Newt smiled. His smile was one to reassure her that he was alright, but she knew he was far from it. Tina threw Newt's arm over her.

"Come on."

As fast as she could, she helped Newt out of the room. They apparated, leaving the black mass to destroy what remained of the building.