Chapter Twenty-Nine: Forget

Start from the beginning

I dragged myself up, knowing I couldn't avoid him and questioning him as to why he would commit such a horrendous act of treason. It didn't seem like him to be jealous over me. He was always ready to find his mate, wait for the perfect person to fill his life with joy. I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling in the pit of my gut, like every step I took was wrong. I've messed up so many times it's like every direction I turn there's a land mine waiting to explode more complicated shit into my life. I just wanted to curl up in bed with a tub of ice cream and drown my sorrows like the little humans often did in distress. But I was an alpha with duties to take care of.

As I descended the steps of the cellar I felt like throwing up. I could hear the questioning shouts from Lorenzo, yelling intelligible words into the echoey room. My foot hit the bottom stair and his head swiveled to meet mine, his eyes piercing right through me, cutting me in half. Suddenly I didn't feel strong anymore. He had ripped me apart, taped me back together and cut me down again. Every time he told me I was being bad to Calla it would break me a little more, and now he tried to take her from me, take her from existence. That made me feel so vulnerable. He knew my greatest weakness, he was my closest friend. I shared everything with him.

He seemed to let out a sigh of relief at the sight of me, nonchalance coating his tone. "Perce, better late than never. Can you tell these idiots to let me go? I woke up and was in these cells. Is this your version of a sick joke?"

I choked, stumbling back a step as if he'd reached out and slapped me. Was he trying to fool me? Did he seriously forget the past hour where he turned into a crazed psychopath? I shook my head vehemently, "Don't. Whatever you're trying to do, stop it."

He let out a big huff, "Seriously, Percyus? What are you talking about?"

Anger rushed towards me, throwing me forwards where I instinctively grabbed his neck and yanked him close. I couldn't bring myself to press him against the bars as I did with others, he still meant a lot to me, which was why I was so damn weak. Lorenzo's eyes went wide and he put his hands up in surrender. I felt my jaw tick, "You're telling me that you don't remember drugging Calla up with lycanthemine to make her shift, nearly killing her in the process, then proceeding to scream about how you'd be a better mate and that I wasn't good for her? All of that just slipped your mind?"

His lips twisted in confusion, "That's the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard. Tell me what's really going on. Why am I down here."

I released his shirt with a frustrated shove, "I just told you, you fucking twat."

"Oh, and I'm just supposed to believe that? She is my friend, I would never do something to hurt her."

My head was spinning. This was not how I imagined this chat would be. Was he that sadistic as to feign victim and innocence after all that? Everyone there saw his actions and could vouch that I wasn't imagining things. My friendship with him was starting to fuck with my head, I wanted to believe him, desperately, but we all saw what he did. We all heard his pained, insane claims over Calla. How could he just forget?

"Look," Lorenzo pitched. "The last thing I remember was getting ready for the dinner. passed that I can't recall anything else. Did you gas me or something?" He asked, exhaustion wearing down his features.

I shook my head. I couldn't trust him. I can't keep caving to him. He was manipulating me to get to Calla. He knew I'd die to protect her and that's why he was feigning innocence. I would release him and he would jump me, claiming the alpha title. What I couldn't figure out was why he slipped lycanthemine into her system if he knew it would hurt her and possibly kill her. If he was so in love with her, murdering her seems a bit out of character.

"I-I can't..." I shut my mouth, knowing I shouldn't say any more. "I'll be back when you're ready, to tell the truth."

Turning my back was the hardest, especially since the second I did, his begging started. "Percy, you know me. I would never hurt Calla, she's such a good friend, why would I want to kill her? Is she okay? Please, Perce, talk to me. I can't remember anything, whatever happened it wasn't me!" They had to have been lies, he was trying to trick me.

I hurried up the stairs with my head down, feeling shameful for treating like I did. He was my friend. I hated that he had to go and ruin our friendship. My heart was torn in two, one half going out to my lifelong best friend who had helped me stick up to my father. But the other half belonged to my mate, the girl who showed me to be a better man. She would always win my heart, even if she was in Lorenzo's position.

I hurried back to the medical room, finding her exactly where she was when I left. It had been a whole hour, but it felt like minutes down there. I must've taken longer to prepare myself than I thought. I noticed my cheeks felt damp, and I brushed away the salty water, angry at myself for crying so much lately. I was turning into exactly what my father said I'd be; a crybaby.

I sagged into the chair next to her bed, noticing her cheeks start to finally regain color. She was healing very slowly, but the antidote was indeed working. Landon had left the second I stepped in, saying something about food. I was too wrapped up in my pity party that I barely listened. He was always munching on something, whether it was a sandwich or a bowl of ice cream, he always carried something. I knew he stashed snacks in here, and sure enough, when my eyes scanned the room, I saw a sandwich in the corner in plastic wrap waiting to be eaten.

I propped my head on my hand, leaning of the armrest. It wasn't my own bed, but if I could watch over Calla, I'd sleep on a bed of nails. My eyes grew heavy. I tried to wake myself up every time they drifted shut, but soon my brain shut down for the night and I fell asleep, tucked in the small chair. My dreams were anything but pleasant, but with Calla next to me, every time I woke up scared, she was right there to calm me. She was fast asleep the whole time, which made it easy to gaze at her to slow my erratic heartbeat and lull me to sleep.

It was perfect, but I had broken my promise to protect her from getting hurt too many times to worry about such frivolous matters. I owed it to her to stop all of the bad things to keep dragging her down, pulling her farther and farther from opening up and letting her get over her fears. That much was what I promised, and I knew how important those were.

Just as I was about to fall asleep again, I heard a murmur from Calla, her voice muffled from sleep. After a few unintelligible noises, I picked up my head to hear her better. What she said nearly shot me out of my chair with fright, her voice so clear and defined now, said with a small amount of insecurity. "Moon Goddess? Is that you?"

~~~

Thank you for reading!

~~~