Primes Partner

I paced back and forth, surveying the cadets. As excited as they were, they all remained perfectly at attention.

Today was the day they had all been waiting for. Today they would get their very own Rescue-Bot. Optimus Prime and I had personally selected the pairs.

"Listen up." I called. "On the other side of those doors are your partners. I have given each of you a number. That number corresponds with a location in the training center. When those doors open, go to the location that matches your number. Your partners will be at that location, waiting for you. Am I clear?"

"Crystal, Ma'am."

Now, who's ready to meet their partners?"

"We are, ma'am!" they exclaimed.

"Then here we go!" 

The doors opened on cue. The cadets went to find their partners. I went to stand by Optimus." Another successful batch." I said.

"Indeed." He replied.

"I hope we paired them right."

"We always do. Now, we should leave them to get acquainted." He said

"Agreed."

Together we left the training hall. 

We walked for a while, side by side. He never appeared to get frustrated with my slow human pace. On the contrary, he seemed perfectly content to walk right next to me.

We got to the place where we usually parted ways.

"I guess I'll see you later," I said. He nodded. But something was off. He seemed... distant. More so than usual.

"Optimus, are you alright?" I asked, concerned.

He nodded again. That was definitely out of character for him. When I asked a question he usually answered with at least a yes.

Before I could ask another question he walked away. I stood there for a minute, staring after him. Something was definitely wrong. I remain in that spot, trying to figure out what to do. At last I decided to leave him be for now. I went to my quarters and changed into some civilian clothes. Then I went to the vehicle hanger and grabbed my motorcycle and helmet. It had been a long time since I went for a ride, and I was ready to head out.

I walked my bike to the gate and signaled for someone to open it. When they did I climbed on my bike and took off. I loved the freedom I felt whenever I rode. The excitement, the danger. I felt as if I could do anything.

I rode my bike down to a beach about 50 miles away from the base. It was peaceful and quiet, and the breeze coming off the water was cool and refreshing. I laid out on the sand and relaxed, feeling the sun warm on my skin. The beach was completely deserted, which was just fine with me. I really didn't like having to deal with people. As I laid there, my mind began to drift from one thought to another. I thought about the training, the new cadets that would be coming soon, and Optimus. Why has he been acting so strange? Usually, we would take our patrol together. But lately, he's been spending more and more time by himself. Disappearing without so much as a note. Mean, he could just leave a holosphere at my room. I can read cybertronian. As I puzzled over this, I looked out over the sea. It was so beautiful. The sun was starting to set, which reflected across the water, turning it all shades of red and orange.

I remained on the beach even after the sun had set. I looked up at the stars, finding all of the constellations I could. I heard a familiar horn from the road and turned my head back. He actually came looking for me. He must have been worried. That made me smile.

"Helena, you shouldn't be out so late. Its past base curfew. You know the rules as well as I do." I turned my back so he couldn't see my eyes. Rules, that's why he came. Guess he wasn't worried about me after all. That hurt a little. But why did I care? I mean, I'm a soldier. I shouldn't be hurt by something so obvious and stupid. I wiped my eyes and turned back around.

"I'm sorry," I said, lowering my head, "I lost track of the time." He opened one of his doors, but I wasn't ready for a long awkward ride back with him. I turned and walked to my bike. Putting my helmet on, I turned the key. The bike roared to life. I turned it around and headed back down the highway with him following behind. When I pulled up to the gate, the guard walked over.

"Thought you were lost, Nightingale." He said jokingly.

I laughed. "No, just lost track of the time." He smiled and walked over to the gate and opened it. I rode my bike in and parked it in my space in the garage.

As I was walking out of the garage, I thought about my reaction back at the beach. What was wrong with me? I never cried, ever. Not even when I lost my mom to cancer. Why was I crying now? I shrugged. Probably stress. I started to head back to the barracks to get some rest.