chapter three

10:32 pm april 3

10:32 pm april 3

SAM SITS OPPOSITE ROWAN, his hand currently being wrapped by Toni. The Serpents has accepted his request to go through initiation. He had currently just finished his second stage.

"It's simple," Sweet Pea had said. "Retrieve knife, don't let snack bite."

Sam and Sweet Pea's relationship had improved very little. They weren't friends, but they weren't enemies. Fangs described it as being "frenemies."

Rowan had retrieved the knife heroically, barely coming in contact with the snake's fangs, but unfortunately, still doing so. He had freaked out for a minute or so, calming down when being told about its venom-less-ness.

The stench of alcohol surrounds Sam, she breathes through her mouth heavily. She stares down at her cup of orange juice. She doesn't particularly enjoy the taste of it, but it surpasses alcohol.

As the stench around Sam grows stronger, nausea in her stomach grows. She feels the spiked air on her skin. The swirling in her stomach grows. The scent is too familiar, of New York, of her dad, of her nightmare-filled house.

"Hey, I know we've never really been on the best of terms, but I'd just like to say that if you'd like to initiate to become a Serpent, you'd be welcome to," Sweet Pea says, standing in front of her. "Fangs mentioned it to me and I just thought that- you okay? You look sorta..." he tilts his head to look at Sam.

Sam stands up suddenly, her face drained of color. She brushes past people as she makes her way to the door. And then she's hit with the cool fresh air outside and everything comes up. Sweet Pea emerges to see her bent over with a pool of vomit at her feet.

"Dang, what were you drinking?" He says grinning.

Sam turns her head to look at him and says, "orange juice."

"You don't drink?" He says, his eyebrows raising slightly in surprise.

"Don't like the taste," Sam lies, shaking her head.

12:45 pm april 5

SAM IS STUCK IN BETWEEN a handful of badly bruised and cut up Serpents. She looks at Sweet Pea, who is currently holding a pack of ice on his eye. He looks up when he realizes her gaze is on him.

"You realize that this was never going to solve anything," Sam says, her focus on Sweet Pea, who had led the attack on the Northside.

"What've you done to help us?" He says cruelly, arching an eyebrow.

"Seen through your not well thought out plan," she says, pulling a knee up to her chest. "Yeah, they know not to go at you physically, but you said Dilton Doily stabbed himself with his own knife? Who do you reckon they're gonna blame it on? You're just adding on to the pile of things they're going to use to get at the Southside."