Chapter 81: Athens of the South

Start from the beginning

"What's up?" she asked.

"Nothing," he said quickly, turning up to the stage as Throat Explosion began a medley of "Short People" by Randy Newman and Madcon's "Glow."

By the time the song ended, all jaws had dropped. Sam sighed and told Finn, "I knew they'd come up with something incredibly unique to wow the judges but..."

The Throat Explosion members left the stage literally glowing. In Gaga-like fashion, they had worn costumes that lit up like Katniss Everdeen, except instead of fire it was light. A lot of it. It was as close to super-bright as you could come without blinding someone and everyone in the room was very impressed.

"Ok," said Joe once they were gathered backstage. "This is the moment we've been working towards all year. I want you all to just forget what you just saw and heard. We have something special here and we don't need bright lights or flashy choreography to prove it. So let's get out there and show them who we are as individuals and how we come together to make the special groups that is New Directions."

As he said their name, the announcer said it, too.

"Come on, quick," Sugar urged them, putting her hand in the middle of their circle as the others did the same. "On three. One... Two... Three..."

"Amazing!" they all shouted together. Marley turned to John, who was going out there first.

"Good luck," she told him. "You're going to be amazing."

"Thank you," he said. "Same to you." 

Just as he was reaching the stage curtains, Kitty stopped him. "Go out there and kill it, Brown."

"Thanks Wilde," he responded, rushing onto the stage with a guitar around him. There, a set of instruments had been placed behind them, as they had a live band accompanying them.  "One, two, three, four!" he shouted as he began to play. The crowd cheered loudly and he strummed away like he never had before for their rock-heavy version of a White Stripes classic.

John: I'm gonna fight 'em off... A seven nation army couldn't hold me back! They're gonna rip it off... Taking their time right behind my back!

Alex came onto the stage, joining him with the repetitive notes on his own guitar.

Alex: Oh and I'm talkin' to myself at night because I can't forget... Back and forth through my mind behind a cigarette...
John and Alex: And the message comin' from my eyes says leave it alone...

They retreated upstage as the other boys came out one by one and joined them.

Ryder: Don't wanna hear about it. Every single one's got a story to tell...
Rory: Everyone knows about it... From the Queen of England to the hounds of hell...
Jake: And if I catch it comin' back my way, I'm gonna serve it to you...
Dan: And that ain't what you want to hear but that's what I'll do!

Joe came out last and the crowd cheered as the guys parted like the Red Sea for him to make his walk downstage.

Joe: And the feeling coming from my bones says find a home... Said, find a home, yeah!

Alex and John continued to play their guitars as the boys moved around the stage in a planned disorder, the attention on the guitarists as the rest of them rocked out and harmonized for backup vocals. When the guitar break ended, John and Alex joined Joe downstage, with the latter standing between them fiercely.

John: I'm going to Wichita... Far from this opera forevermore...
Alex: I'm gonna work the straw... Make the sweat drip out of every pore!
Joe: And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding. Right before the lord... All the words are gonna bleed from me. And I will think no more!
Alex, John and Joe: And the stains comin' from my blood tell me "Go back home"...
Joe: Go back home!
John: Said leave it alone!
Joe: Said leave it alone, hey!