IX: Hate

"You don't have to walk me. I've got this," I turn to look at him-which is a big mistake, because when I turn back around, I've walked sideways, nearly ending up in the road.

"Right," he chuckles, grabbing a hold of my arm to pull me back.

"Don't patronize me," I declare, boldly. "I know exactly where the tour bus is."

"Tour bus?"

"Yes, that's where we're staying."

"But Luke has a hotel roo..." Zayn trails off.

"He what?" I ask, stopping in my tracks, but nearly falling over.

"Um. Oh sh!t," he mutters to himself.

"No. Go on. You've practically said it now," I usher him to finish telling me what I already know to be true at this point.

"He has a hotel room, which I'm guessing you...didn't know about." Zayn awkwardly shifts on his feet. "They all have them-each boy, I mean."

"...No. I didn't know," I sigh, defeated. And now that I think about it, Luke seems to have an awful lot of 'interviews,' so he's hardly on the bus during the day, while I sit there alone...waiting for him to come back. And who knows what he's doing at night, since I hardly see him then either. 

"I'm sorry," he says.

"Why are you sorry? Clearly, I'm the sorry one here."

"Because you're a great girl. And I feel like he's messing things up with you. Trust me, I know. Been there, done that," he mumbles.

Although his words are kind, I'm having a hard time believing them at this point. Apparently, Luke doesn't think I'm that great since he feels the need to hide me from the rest of the world. I don't know what I ever did to him to make him hate me so much. If it's something about myself, I'll fix it. I just miss that guy that I met the very first day at the restaurant; the adorable, sweet, funny, flirty guy who stayed behind just to make sure I was alright.

"Luci?"

"Ye-yeah," I barely whisper, feeling the alcohol settle in the depths of my stomach as realization hits me. What a perfect combination.

"We're at the tour bus."

"Oh-ok."

"Are you alright?"

"No," I say, clenching my stomach, and trying to reach in my bag for the key that Luke gave me to hold onto for tonight. He probably assumed it was safest with me since I wouldn't be leaving his side the whole night. Well, we see how that worked out.

"Sh!t, let me unlock the door," Zayn says, as he grabs the key from me while holding onto my arm. I see a camera flash off into the distance, but I don't think anything of it.

As soon as he unlocks the door, I make a beeline for the bathroom, where I basically empty my stomach contents-or lack thereof-into the toilet bowl. I feel like I'm sitting there for hours, and Zayn has been kind enough to hold my curly locks out of the way.

"Oh my God," I grumble, my arm resting on the toilet seat with my forehead planted on top of it. The palm of my other hand rests against the floor, helping me remain upright. Zayn's other hand massages my back, which weirdly enough, soothes me.

"I've got it from here." Both Zayn and I are startled by the voice that would come from none other than him.

"Alright, yeah. She's pretty sick, mate."

"Yeah I can see that." I can hear the venom in Luke's words, and I don't even want to know what he's thinking.

"Uhm, alright. I just walked her home, but I'll uh, I'll be going now. Luci, feel better. I'm sure I'll see you again sometime," I can hear the smile in his voice; he really has been nothing but kind to me. But I know Luke's going to think otherwise.