II. Please

I don’t know how long I’ve been sitting outside the restaurant like this. You tend to lose track of time in solitude. All I know is I’ve been crying non-stop, as my knees are pulled tightly against my chest and my back rests against the brick all.

I feel something blocking the sun’s shadow, before I feel someone slide down the brick wall next to me.The person doesn’t say anything at first, but I’m startled when a hand touches my shoulder.

“Sor-sorry,” the thick accent comes out rather hoarse; but I can’t quite place the accent. “I didn’t mean to come off as a creep.”

I look up now, remembering him as one of the boys who was sitting in the restaurant with the large group. His lip ring catches my eye the most, as well as his striking blue eyes that pierce through me. But I quickly break eye contact, as his gaze becomes more intense. He’s wearing all black, which makes him stick out, even though I think he’s going for the opposite. He might be in one of the musical acts my father was talking about?

“It’s uh, it’s fine,” I mumble. My voice cracks at the end, probably due to the constant crying.

“I’m really sorry about what happened back in the restaurant. Michael was being an absolute d!ck.” I cringe at his straight forward profanity, but quickly shrug it off. He brings an arm up to fiddle with his lip ring, much like he did back in the restaurant the few times my eyes wandered over to him. “I’m Luke, by the way,” his eyes move to me.

I give him a closed-lip smile to which he gives me a dimply one. And I don’t know how I didn’t see it before, but he’s absolutely gorgeous-well, his smile is anyway.

“So, I’m afraid you never answered Michael’s question. Do you live out here?” I nod my head once more, taking note that Michael must be the rude purple haired boy. Again, I don’t really feel like talking, but Luke moves closer to me, clearly not getting the hint.  

“So what is there to do around here? I’m afraid, if you couldn’t tell- this isn’t really my native…land, so I don’t know what this beautiful city has to offer. Not that I haven’t been here before, because it’s kind of in line with my work, but I feel like there’s more than what I can actually take in during the two days we’re scheduled to be here.” His voice comes out a lot clearer than before.

“What’s your work?” I ask, having piqued my interest as I turn to him; completely ignoring the original question for the second time. He looks at me with eyebrows raised before cocking his head to one side.

“You mean, you didn’t recognize anyone back there?” he asks me.

“Uhm…no? Was I supposed to?” I ask lightly, my voice rising at the end.

“N-no, not at all. But it’s just weird that you um, never heard of…never mind. It’s actually quite refreshing,” he replies, readjusting his hood so that it covers most of his blonde hair. “But yeah, I’m uh, I’m in a band,” his finger moves to his lip ring again. It seems to be a habit of his.

“That’s cool. What do you play?”

“Sing, actually. I’m uh, lead vocals. But I do play guitar.”

“I’ve always wanted to play guitar, but we never could afford lessons with my five younger siblings.”

“You have five younger siblings? Holy sh!t, that’s a lot. I have two older brothers and they annoy the sh!t outta me, so I can only imagine having five.”

“Yeah, it was rough. But I love them, and I love taking care of them,” I respond with a chuckle, thinking fondly back on my four brothers and one sister.