I.

If Jacob was given the option to go to that party, he wouldn't declined, but Zonnique was standing in his doorway threatening to kill him if he didn't get up and shower and get dressed. Jacob wasn't going to argue with her; he was terrified of the girl. He knew she was just a bunch of empty threats, but the way she said them could scare a soldier.

        It's how they became friends in the first place. Zonnique threatened to cut his hair if he didn't sit by her in class. She was new to the school and it was third grade. He was thankful for her actions, but he felt that some day, if he pissed her off the right way, then he would die.

        But he was at this party, and he had no idea where Zonnique was, and the bartender was upset because he'd been sitting there for at least thirty minutes and hadn't got one drink. "Kid, are you going to sit there and look around all night or are you going to buy something? There are other people trying to give me business, but they cant; there are no more seats left."

        Jacob didn't want to get up. He wasn't used to parties, he'd never really gone to them unless he was forced and that was only occasionally. When he did go, he felt ridiculously uncomfortable. Jacob reached for his wallet in his back pocket, "I don't know what to drink." 

        The bartender scoffed and pulled a couple of bottles from under the counter.  "Rum and Coke. Remember that, kid."  The bartender passed Jacob a glass with a black straw. Jacob slightly smiled and took the glass inspecting it carefully. "Thanks." 

        The bartender turned around and walked away to another guy at the other end of the bar that Jacob had guessed was drunk by the way he was laughing loudly and had his arm slung around some guy sitting beside him. Or maybe he was just happy. 

        Jacob took a sip of the drink. It burned his throat and he coughed. "It your birthday?"

        Jacob looked up at a guy standing next to him smiling at him. "Figured it might be, you're drinking Rum and Coke. It's a first timers drink. Thought maybe you'd just come of age."

        He looked away from Jacob. "I'm nineteen," Jacob took another sip of the drink trying not to choke. "Wondering whether I should be a good person and take that drink from you. Chresanto." the guy hopped into the seat next to Jacob. "Is that some type of drink I should know about?" Jacob asked. "My name."

        Jacob chuckled. What kind of name is Chresanto? "Chresanto? Uh, that's a distinct name. Jacob."

        "Jacob. How long you been sitting here, Jacob?" Chresanto asked him, turning slightly in his chair to face him. "I don't know. When my friend brought me here, I just kinda made my way over here and stayed."

        "You came with a friend?" 

        "Yep. She left me here alone. It's a party for her boyfriend. She thought it'd be good for me to get out."

        Chresanto chuckled. "You should. You go to school, you work, retire, then die. It's up to you to make the most of the time between." 

        "What about you? What year?"

        "Last. Twenty-two. Music Major." Chresanto downed the last of his drink. "Music Major?" Jacob raised an eyebrow and took a long sip of his drink. He felt he had to, Chresanto was waving the bartender over for a refill and he hadn't even finished his first one. He guess he had gotten used to the burn, but it didn't burn as much anymore. 

        "Dad owns a music company. I'm his only son. Sister ran off to pursue her dream of anthropology. Somewhere in Korea. My other sister's a first year. She's a business major. She wants to work at the company, too. You? What about you?"