Chapter 5: I'd Rather be Knocked Out by a Frying Pan

Start from the beginning

"What about medicine?" He continued, as we got closer to my school. "Or law? You know, I always wanted to be a lawyer."

"Thanks Dad," I interrupted, throwing the car door open and practically falling over in my haste to get away.

"Have a good day!" He called after me, but I ignored him and rushed away.

The majority of the time, I liked my dad. I really did. But lately all he wanted to talk about was college and money and jobs, everything I didn't want to talk about. Truthfully, I wasn't ready to accept the fact that I was growing up and my dad seemed to be a constant reminder of it.

"Hey," someone said from behind me and I almost dropped Cactus in surprise.

"Morning Georgia," I smiled at the small blonde, recovering quickly. "Morning Alice."

"Are you feeling okay?" Georgia asked at the same time Alice said, "You look really bad."

"Just tired," I said, choosing to ignore Alice's comment. "Really, really tired."

"Isn't Luke supposed to be helping you look after that thing?" Alice gestured to Cactus, who had been surprisingly quiet this morning.

"Luke?" Georgia interrupted. "Luke Turner?"

I nodded, just about avoiding being crushed by a footballer double my size as I maneuvered through the hallway.

"Please explain!" Georgia cried, looking from me to the baby in wide eyed fascination.

I explained The Baby Project and being partnered with Luke as quickly as I could, leaving out the part about me going to his house, since it wasn't even 9am yet and I really wasn't ready to deal with a hysterical Georgia.

"Oh. My. God," she breathed.

Too late.

She was already getting there.

"YOU HAD A BABY WITH LUKE TURNER?" Georgia practically shouted.

Every single person walking down the hallway froze as Georgia's words echoed all around us.

I instantly turned beetroot red and shook my head at everyone who had turned to stare at us.

"N-no," I stuttered, embarrassed to have so much attention on me.

Thankfully, this seemed to be enough for everyone as they all returned back to their conversations and went off in their own separate directions.

"Jesus, Georgia. Do you always have to be this loud?" Alice complained.

"Sorry," Georgia said, a lot more quietly this time. "I got a little excited..."

"A little?" I mumbled, opening my locker and taking a few books out.

"I just can't believe you had a baby with Luke and didn't tell me about it," Georgia folded her arms over chest, going from over excited to very annoyed within the space of five seconds.

"We didn't 'have' a baby Georgia. We were given a plastic doll and forced to work together."

"Minor details, who cares?" She waved her hand around, rolling her eyes. "I knew Luke coming home would actually bring back some excitement. But who knew you'd be at the centre of it?"

"You're delusional," Alice said, snatching Georgia's folder out of her hands and whacking her on the head with it.

"I'm right!" Georgia cried. "I know I am!"

******************************************

By the time last period rolled around I felt like a massive weight had been lifted off my shoulders. At lunch I had dumped the baby with Luke and ever since I'd been on Cloud 9. It also helped that last period I had English, which was one of my favorite subjects.