Character Analysis - Stefan Salvatore

     Full Name: Stefan Salvatore

     Birthday: November 1, 1846

     Death Date: March 8, 2018

     Species: Vampire/Human

     Relations: Salvatore family of 1864 (birth), Salvatore family of 2000s (Zach and Sarah), Forbes family (Caroline), Gilbert family (Elena and Damon), Saltzman family (Caroline, Josie, and Lizzie), Harvard Grad (1970s), Allies World War II solider (1942), and Mystic Falls High Alumni (2009 – 2011).

     The good brother. Hero hair. Blood addict. Ripper.

     Those are only a few phrases used to describe Stefan Salvatore throughout The Vampire Diaries. His character is complex in every sense of the word. Loveable, sweet, hypocritical, judgey, forgiving, selfless...the list goes on.

     (I'm going to write this a little differently than the last two characters I went over, considering the entire show is literally about Stefan.)

     Stefan Salvatore is the youngest son of Giuseppe and Lillian Salvatore. He was turned into a vampire at the age of seventeen from being shot in the chest by his father on September 25, 1864. Katherine forced fed him blood, which connected him to Klaus's sireline.

     Throughout The Vampire Diaries, Stefan flip flops back and forth from being the good guy and being the villain. His personality is extreme. He is either loyal and kindhearted, or a heartless jerk. There is no in between. Although, the last one has more to do with his humanity switch than anything. And without humanity, Stefan is basically an asshole.

     That is the main issue concerning Stefan throughout the entire series. His blood problems and the horrible things he has done in past and present play a big role in how he lives his life. He tries his hardest to be a good person, but a lot of that is in vain.

     Humanity Switch Flips – Shown (3), Not Shown (2 or more)

     During said flips, Stefan killed upwards of a couple hundred people. He also threatened the life of Elena Gilbert, terrorized Whitmore College campus with Caroline Forbes, and killed Enzo St. John. Those are only a few of Stefan's known offenses.

     When it comes to love, Stefan's relationships are always complicated. Stefan first love, Valerie Tulle, left him with a broken heart that led him to being manipulated by Katherine Pierce a year later. He then went on for the next hundred and fifty years believing that he never loved Katherine and that she only used him, which turned out to not be the case. Stefan ultimately falls deep and hard for Elena Gilbert, who ends up with his brother, Damon, a few years later. And toward the end of The Vampire Diaries, Stefan starts a relationship with Caroline Forbes and they get married the day he dies.

     Throughout the years, Stefan has had many flings. An important one being Rebekah Mikaelson. He doesn't seem to be very picky when it comes to love, unless it concerns Elena. (See "Love Interests – The Salvatore Brothers" for more.)

     Despite his hardships,Stefan remained a kind and loyal friend to many people. He did his best toremain stable, even with his blood problems and Ripper tendencies. In the end,he sacrificed himself to save his family and the town of Mystic Falls.      

I know this sucks. I'm sorry.

Comment some suggestions for what I should post next.

-Jordan

Information mentioned in this chapter can be found at vampirediaries.wikia.com