Chapter 10 | Bunking

[ c h a p t e r  t e n ]10 — bunking

10 — bunking

[ z a r a ]
— point of view

I walk with Riven, the both of just finished lunch. Well I finished lunch, Riven seemed to stop eating the moment I mentioned the world healthy. I was concerned for his health, the constant intake of pills and lack of food meant something.

"Riven." I say quietly, he stops walking. His gaze falls on to me, his aura was overwhelming. The both of us look at each other for a moment, but that moment was cut short as the school bell rings, alerting us to go to class.

I look away, only to look back to find Riven still looking at me. His gaze was intimidating, but for some reason I liked the intensity of his gaze. For some reason it made me feel liked, there was someone in this school who enjoyed my presence.

Unlike Lisa. She'd care less about me, everything to her was about popularity. Remaining on top of the food chain was how Lisa wanted to live her life, she was blinded by the ideology of being popular that she doesn't realise the destruction of others around her.

"Let's ditch class." I say, he looks at me with a look I couldn't decipher. I sigh, it was a stupid idea to ask one of the highest achievers to ditch school. He was the prestigious rich boy who had a reputation to uphold.

As I turn around I felt a hand clasp around my wrist, I turn to find Riven. He nods his head, I smile widely as the both of us make our way upstairs to the abandoned floor nobody goes to. It was like our place, a place where we could forget about school once in a while.

"Sometimes I feel so sad I could do anything." I murmur, looking at the indoor garden. My mother told me that we Arya's never succeed, we always fail. It's written in our legacy that we'd never succeed.

"It's not like it would affect anyone anyways, there's nobody here who cares about me, my popularity is all people want — people become my friend to reach the top." I state bitterly, looking at the ground.

Riven sighs, his gaze falling on to me. I look up to face him, he shakes his head at my words before gesturing to himself. I smile, he regarded himself as my friend? Friends in this school seems like a distant dream.

"Really? You're my friend?" I ask surprised, he simply nods his head at my words, a ghost of a smile appearing on his face. This feeling of friendship, it felt surreal.

I walk alone, bunking class with Riven was one of the best decisions I've made in my life. Every single day I'm doing the same thing, there had to be something different. There was no use of doing the same thing everyday.

Sometimes you have to break some rules, the hidden rules you're forced to abide by. I liked it, the feeling of being something else. Of being someone different.

"You didn't come class." Carter says, his face extinct of any emotion. I look at him blankly, he ignored me for a long time for no valid reason. It did make me sad, since I really did regard him as a friend.

"I know." I say, walking forward. Carter grabs my wrist, it wasn't gentle how Riven grabbed it. It was much different, I turn around to face him. His gaze was hardened, it was almost as if it resembled steel.

"Where were you?" his teeth grits, why did he suddenly care about me?

"Somewhere." I can't disclose Riven's special place, it would be dumb to tell someone else. However my words cause Carter to get frustrated.

"Damn it Zara, you can't go to random places and not tell me!" he says softly, his grip loosening on my wrist. "I care about you, it felt wrong without you in class beside me." he whispers softly.

My heart thumps, he cared? Nobody really cares about me, I am just a accessory to many in this school. "I'll tell you if I'm bunking next time," I assure him, he nods his head before walking forward.

But he stops. "Who did you bunk class with?" Carter questions, placing his hands in the pockets of his black leather jacket.

"Riven." I respond casually, Carter looks at me dumbfounded. Did I say something wrong? It makes no sense for him to react like that.

He chuckles, shaking his head. "Riven doesn't talk to anyone Zara, I think you've mistaken him for someone else." he says before walking on. "If you wanted to bunk, you could've bunked with me." he says before leaving the hallway.

THIRD PERSON POV

Carter opens his locker with a blank expression, could she be telling the truth, was she really with Riven? His mind floods with thoughts about Zara. It's not like Zara could hang out with someone like Riven, he was a cold prince people struggled to communicate with.

For some reason Carter's heart churned. It's not like she'd ever bunk with a guy like me, he thought to himself as he looked at his reflection on the small mirror on his locker. Carter was just a good boy gone bad, nobody likes a bad boy.

idk do people like this book? i can continue if you want?