Dad turned around from the stove and looked at me with sheer annoyance on his face. He hated it when we talked to him while he was cooking.

I rubbed the back of my neck and said, "I love you."

His eyebrows immediately plunged into a frown and he turned his back on me.  "Are you trying to get on my nerves?"  He asked, picking up his spatula to violently scramble our eggs.  "Don't say that shit."

Violet pinched her lips tightly to keep from laughing and it took everything I had not to punch her in the face.  "Sorry, Dad."  I mumbled, "I was just kidding."

Dad shook his head and served breakfast to us a few minutes later.  He never once looked at me as he ate his bacon and eggs, and when he was finished he left the house without saying a word. 

I glared at Violet.  "Satisfied?" 

She patted me on the cheek like I was a child.  "You passed the test with flying colors."

"Wonderful."  I muttered, rolling my eyes.  "Are you going to make me do more stupid shit like that?"

"Probably," She answered with a shrug, "But I also need you for more important things."

"Like what?"

"You'll see."

"Whatever."  I grunted, grabbing the backpack from my chair before sauntering off to my car.  When I got to school Katherine was standing in her same place in the back of the cafeteria.  She bit her bottom lip anxiously when I came up to her.

"Did you talk to Violet?"

"Yeah, she's not going to say anything."

"Really?  How did you convince her?"

"We have an arrangement."

Katherine seemed satisfied enough with my answer so she changed the subject.  We talked about her math teacher until the first bell rang, and I told her we could talk more at lunch.  The day went by pretty fast and when school was over we were able to meet at the local coffee shop to talk even more.  She told me that her mother had no idea that we were seeing each other, and that the only reason she was keeping it a secret was because she didn't want her mom to reconnect with Dad.  She promised that she would eventually let me tell him, but she insisted that she needed a little more time.  I told her I understood, though I truly had no idea what she had against him.

"I'll see you later, Katherine."  I said, glancing at the watch on my wrist.  "I better get back home before I'm late for dinner."

I stood up to leave the coffee shop and she jumped from her chair and wrapped her arms around my neck.  "Thank you for understanding, Vincent."  She whispered in my ear, causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand.  "You're a really great friend."

My face started burning and I pulled away from her, looking at her with my mouth agape.  "I would do anything for you, Katherine.  I hope you know that."

She nodded.  "Thank you."

The intense look in her eyes was all I could think about as I drove home.  She trusted me.  She felt safe enough around me to tell me her insecurities.  We were more than friends.  We were partners.