Chapter 36. Strong Counsel

Recently, we discovered a number of students, ages 15 to 17, intoxicated in building 7A. Apparently, they somehow managed to steal a number of bottles of sacramental wine. The students were disciplined, and the empty bottles recovered.

Please implement measures to prevent further theft of the wine, as soon as possible.

—St. Catherine's Internal Correspondence

Day Five

Kato had a restless sleep that night. He kept dreaming of being chased by a wolf. And each time he was caught, he would start arguing with Takahashi and run away again, only for the cycle to repeat. He awoke at 6:00 when the alarm went off. Kato got up and went to the bathroom.

He entered, and it was quiet as usual. Higashihara was there, he motioned Kato to the side. Curious, he followed.

"Takahashi-san and Handa-san got in a fight again last night."

"What?" Kato exclaimed.

"Yeah, apparently Handa-san was taunting him."

"What?" Kato repeated.

"Handa-san was saying that it served him right that he now has an uke that won't have sex with him. Takahashi-san attacked him. They exchanged blows. Some of the other boys separated them and then staff members came and ordered them to the infirmary."

"Fuck me."

"Well, dude. Last night, you shouted so that the whole damn room heard it."

"Yeah, but we worked it out. It was my mistake. I didn't mean to," Kato sorrowfully replied.

"Tell that to your seme when he shows back up. I heard he will in segregation until this afternoon."

"How bad was he hurt?"

"I don't know but I heard there was quite a bit of blood. I doubt either of them won that battle."

Kato was sad now. He went to the sink to brush his teeth. He looked in the mirror at himself. He looked himself in his eyes for a moment before guilt crushed him and he had to look down.

-----

At breakfast, Murata sat down at the table next to Kato as usual.

Kato looked at him, then back at his food.

"You okay?" Murata asked.

"No."

"I know what happened. I'm on his wing, remember? I saw the whole thing."

"Did he get hurt?"

"Yeah, Handa-san socked him in the mouth, cutting his lip pretty good. I think that's where most of the blood came from. They wrestled for a bit and I thought Handa-san was winning but somehow Takahashi-san kneed him in the groin. Handa-san dropped like a sack of potatoes. Takahashi-san fights dirty."

Kato sighed. "I feel sorry for Takahashi-san. He's been fighting both me and Handa-san. It's not right."

"Yeah, perhaps. You sure don't seem to give him much support being his uke."

Kato looked at Murata, then looked back at his food.

"I don't know what to do."

"Well, first, stop being a goddamned, stuck-up ass. So the fuck what if he wants to hold hands? Hasn't he earned it?"

Kato was floored. Where was this attitude suddenly coming from? "You heard that?"

"Yes."

"Well, we did end up holding hands anyway," he pleaded.